Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!
Accepted Solution

Unlock code when you are on billpay and out of contract

Scout

Hi,

I bought an iPhone 6 S from 3 Ireland almost 2 and a half years ago and started on a SIM only Billpay. I was formerly an  O2 customer and was picked up by 3 on their purchase of O2.

I wasn't told at the time of purchase that the phone was locked.

I recently contacted 3 Three to enquire about my contract and they said I was out of contract and to proceed and gave me a link for the unlock function. I entered the details, IMEI etc and I received an email to say that I have to cough up €130 to get the unlock code.

My phone was never a Prepay phone but a fully paid for on a Billpay SIM and the lock codes apply to Prepay phones. 

The other networks don't force this upon you and I know 3 now doesn't lock the phones for new customers, so the older customers are subsidising the new customers. Bit like the banks giving deals to new customers while the older customers are left out to dry.

Anybody else fall foul to this scam and get around it.

Regards.

Chosen Solution
Highlighted

Re: Unlock code when you are on billpay and out of contract

@Yanniboy  Wouldnt be calling it a scam because of you bought a phone full cost which is AKA a prepay phone to use your Sim Only sim in. Prepay phones require 130 worth of top up to unlock that phone. Considering that you bought it to use  your Sim in, the mods here might be able to help as long as you can prove you bought it (did you add it on your My3 account?) HAve the receipt? A Sim came with it for sure with an 083 number on it, still have that?

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic
Highlighted

@Yanniboy  Wouldnt be calling it a scam because of you bought a phone full cost which is AKA a prepay phone to use your Sim Only sim in. Prepay phones require 130 worth of top up to unlock that phone. Considering that you bought it to use  your Sim in, the mods here might be able to help as long as you can prove you bought it (did you add it on your My3 account?) HAve the receipt? A Sim came with it for sure with an 083 number on it, still have that?

Scout
Hi Michael,

I have receipt, did a transfer to my original number to a Billpay
arrangement. Not Prepay.

Regards,
John

[ Edited ]
Maestro

@Yanniboy Well that's perfect! mods will be able t sort this for you then. Send them a PM with all the details

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>