Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

IPhone 5s not getting signal where iPhone 4s could. Why?

Lookout

I upgraded to an Iphone 5s from an iPhone 4s. I live in a country location, so coverage can be a little tricky. With my iPhone 4s I could get coverage including 3G in certain parts of my house and always outside, but the iPhone 5s has absolutely no signal at home and outside '3' is listed in Network selection - Carriers but when I tick it, it remains 'No service'.

I can only get a signal and full coverage when I go about 3km down the road.  I asked in my local 3 shop why this is? And he simply said "Oh the newer phones require a stronger signal to work." I cannot understand how my 4s could make and receive calls, but with the same signal on the 5s it will not work at all.

I have tried Resetting/ taking out the SIM/ turning the phone on and off/ turning off the 4G. All I want is to be able to make and receive phone calls in the same way I could with my iphone 4s and I cannot understand why a more up-to-date model is less able to do so.

Any thoughts welcome?

Re: IPhone 5s not getting signal where iPhone 4s could. Why?

3 Moderator

Hi there and welcome to the community 👏 Can you  do a network reset please and let me know how you get on? 👉  Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: this also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords you've used before. Deb

Lookout

Hi Deborah, 

I have done a reset Network Settings twice now on the 5s and still No Signal.

Anonymous

Can you test out two things for me? First, can you pop into your settings and make sure data roaming is switched on. Once it's on, restart the phone and test it. Second, if the first step doesn't work, can you put the SIM back into the old phone and test it out? Let me know the results.

Lookout

I did as you suggested - data roaming ON, restart - still no signal at all. 3 does appear in Network selection, but even when I tick on it - no signal.

I put the SIM back into my iPhone 4s and I can get 2-3 bars in the house and outside 3 to 4 bars and E - so I can make and receive calls and text. 

Anonymous

I think that you could have an issue with the new handset. Could you confirm in a PM your mobile number, name address and date of birth and I will look further into this 😊 Shane

Lookout

So after quite a few attempts to rectify the problem, it turns out that the iphone5s is at fault as its antenna simply will not pick up the 3 signal where I live, (but has no problem when I'm closer to town) so now I will have to go back to using the older model iphone 4s which will pick up the 3 signal around my area. 

I do however believe that 3 should take some of the responsibility as their signal strength is obviously still a big problem in rural areas for their customers who would like to have a more up-to-date phone.

Anonymous

As the iPhone 4 can pick up a signal this would indicate that the issue would be with the iPhone 5s and not a network issue. I recommend going back to where it was purchased and have the phone examined but just be in mind that this handset may be out of warranty at this time.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>