Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Disable Facetime now ! Apple Bug

Legend

To all iPhone, iPad and Mac users,

Due to a recently discovered bug with FaceTime that can potentially turn any iPhone or Mac into a hot mic, we are asking you to take the following actions for information security concerns:

• Disable FaceTime on your Apple devices

How to disable Facetime on your Apple devices

On iPhone or iPad

1. Open Settings
  2. Scroll down to the option for FaceTime
  3. Toggle the switch to the left so FaceTime is deactivated (the switch will turn from green to gray)

On Mac

1. Open the FaceTime application on your Mac (you can find see it in your Finder window, listed under Applications)
  2. Click on the "FaceTime" menu in the top menu bar
  3. Select the third option, "Turn FaceTime Off"

To sign out of FaceTime on Mac altogether

1. Open the FaceTime application on your Mac
  2. Click on the "FaceTime" menu in the top menu bar
  3. Select the second option for "Preferences"
  4. Click "Sign Out"

More about the bug

The bug lets an iPhone user start a FaceTime call and (by adding their own number to the call when the phone is ringing) hear audio coming from the recipient's phone, even before the recipient has accepted the call. Even more alarmingly, if the recipient rejects the incoming call with the power button on their iPhone, it will transmit video from their camera. 

Re: Disable Facetime now ! Apple Bug

Maestro

@billbond4 Couldnt you say this about all phones? Not an iPhone user but I think they all have the potential to do this, so much technology in the palm of your hand. Have you ever used Google Assistant or the home units? Redit is full of posts about this, my conversations are pretty dull anyway so I don't think anyone wants to eavesdrop on "what'll we have for dinner" or "Fancy a Pizza" But I could be wrong!

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>