Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Re: Hong Kong roaming

Legend
Hmm it's a strange one, localised fault doesnt sound right.
If I vaguely remember from my many mobile radio courses, I think Hong Kong and Japan handle roaming different to other countries.
I think it maybe handset related but I can't quiet remember.
Have you tried your sim in a different handset?
Even try your sim in a "local persons" handset?

Anonymous
Yes, tried all sorts of variables at this stage, it's been like this since last summer and I'm in Hong Kong at least twice a month. I know exactly the same thing affects at least a dozen colleagues with 3 Ireland contracts.

Legend
How about getting a three Ireland prepay sim card and trying it in your phone?
It might be something with your plan?
"I see from website
Hong Kong is not included in Three Like Home for customers on FlexiFix plans "

Anonymous
That still doesn't explain why it works in the neighbouring cell, 5km down the road. In my simple mind, the switch for Irish data roaming on the transmitter in Tung Chung is in the off position.

Legend
That Base station that your using must be owned by an operator that doesn't have an agreement with three Ireland.
A three UK SIM subscriber would show up as a different subscriber type to the Base station.

Anonymous
So is it up to 3 Ireland to reach a new agreement with the owner of the transmitter? It was working until last year so there's no reason it can't be made to work again.

Legend
Possibly, its hard to know how local agreements work with possible network sharing and then roaming on top of that.

Legend
What networks are available in that cell your in?

Anonymous
3,3(2G), Smartone, CSL, Chinamobile, PCCW twice.
Announcements

At Three we are updating our systems to make your 3Community experience even better. From Friday the 24th of January, the forum.three.ie community will become read-only in preparation for launching a new and improved 3Community later this year

All our useful tips and information can still be viewed in the posts and blogs. Once the new 3Community is ready to go, you will be the first to know. If you are a current member and need help during this time, you can still drop us a private message or alternatively contact us on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for all your contributions to 3Community and we are excited to welcome you to your new 3Community soon