Do you mean 

Re: all you can eat data abroad?

Legend
That's for certain bill pay if you pay 3e
For prepay you get unlimited data I.e. 15GB for free

Highlighted

Hi @stevo-dtm,

@billbond4 is spot on here. On Prepay, once your within your 30 day top up and connected to the Three network abroad, you'll have your unlimited internet Smiley Happy

Legend
Would be handy for me if France was added to list of countries where you could use three like home but I doubt that will happen this year. As three ireland would loose a lot of extra revenue, but you never know

I'll pass on your interest about this billbond4. We appreciate all feedback given.

Anonymous

A few more things to add based on recently visiting the UK:

1. Even without an AYCE top-up, the 500MB data add-on works fine on the UK network.

2. Roaming does not work on 4G.  3G data speed is ok, e.g. BBC News Video clips struggle to play.

3. It can be tricky ensuring the phone stays on the sister Three network, as it will roam on another if the signal is weak.

The third point is important as I've been caught out a few times with my phone switching to O2 UK while browsing the web, resulting in data roaming charges.  Even with a manual network search, most phones will still roam on to another network when the signal is weak. 

Guide
Great points Sean thanks I usually turn data off but I have noticed that it does jump from three- O2 might have to keep data off just to be on the safe side

Legend

Yeah really good practical tips for using your phone abroad.

Its been year since I was abroad Smiley Sad 

3 Staff

Hi Séan, when you're roaming on 3UK are you manually selecting the network?

Anonymous

Yes - When I was in the UK last month, I went into my phone's Settings -> Mobile network settings -> Choose a network operator.  After a seconds, it displayed a list of operators and the modes. 

Initially I tried "3UK 4G", but it said that my SIM is not allowed on this network, so I then tried "3UK 3G" and it registered. 

However, whenever I was in a weak signal area such as a shopping centre, the phone would automatically switch over to O2 UK. 

When this happened, I would repeat the above process to put it back on 3UK, but as I mentioned above, the phone does not stay on that network even when manually selecting the phone.  Neither did my previous two Android phones over the past few years.  As long as the signal was weak (1 to 2 bars), the phone would switch back to O2 UK automatically.

As stevo-dtm mentioned above, the best solution I had was to turn off data roaming.

It's also a similar issue here in Ireland, even if I manually select the Three network, it will still roam on to the O2 Ireland 2G network when I'm in an area with weak 3G reception.  At least there's no charge for using the former Irish O2 network, unlike the UK O2 network.

Maestro

Thanks Seán, can you PM me your account details and I'll take a look into this? 

Announcements

At Three we are updating our systems to make your 3Community experience even better. From Friday the 24th of January, the forum.three.ie community will become read-only in preparation for launching a new and improved 3Community later this year

All our useful tips and information can still be viewed in the posts and blogs. Once the new 3Community is ready to go, you will be the first to know. If you are a current member and need help during this time, you can still drop us a private message or alternatively contact us on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for all your contributions to 3Community and we are excited to welcome you to your new 3Community soon