Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

When is 4G not really 4G

Pathfinder

My family and I have multiple mobile devices, all on the Three network.

On all of them the network shows as "3" and the mobile data as "4G".

Upload speeds are over 15Mbps which is fine.

Dowload speeds are between 1 and 3 Mbps which is rubbish.

As this occurs on many devices such as Android and Windows phones, this is not a device related issue.

The network has a problem.

I've tried Three web-chat service but the internet is so slow and flaky the chat sessions keep getting terminated.

As far as I got with Chat, I've been told that the Three network isn't really 4G as it is only on trial and that they won't register a fault for slow speeds unless they drop below 300kbps.  Obviously such statements are complete nonsense when Three advertise their network as 4G.

As for "All you can eat data", it's pointless with a network that doesn't even allow websites to function correctly becuase the speeds are so slow.

Before I move my entire family of 7 devices over to another network, I'd like someone from Three to confirm they will not or are unable to do anything about this issue.

Re: When is 4G not really 4G

3 Moderator

Hi there, I can look into this for you. Can you send me on your full address so I can take a better look into this for you? Are other customers in the area experiencing this too? What kind of speeds are you getting on 3G? 

Pathfinder

I've sent you my address as a private message.

My family and I are located in an area with good coverage and the issue is happening on multiple devices and operating systems in this area so this is not a device related issue.

The data rate for 4G is above 10Mbps while 3G averages 1Mbps.  In the evenings especially, Three mobile internet in the area of my home rarely rises above 2Mbps.  Ironically, in the centre of towns like Carrick on Shannon or Sligo, the internet speeds are worse.

This is therefore a network related issue that affects download speeds only and occurs primiarily, but not exclusively, in the evenings.  This suggests that it is a network issue that is possibly a consequence of the way the network is configured to manage bandwidth against demand.  Which is fine, but then for Three to claim it provides a 4G network with data rates that are at 3G levels is simply disingenuous.

3 Moderator

We've gotten back to your PM 👍

Explorer

Screenshot_20170809-133054.pngScreenshot_20170808-221226.pngScreenshot_20170808-220049.pngFitzhave square Noa H9.jpgFitzhaven square 22-23.pngFitzhaven square 2200.png

Can someone do anything about this? I was at the several places in Limerick this morning testing speed, and I've gotten 4g between 20 and 40 Mbps. At home, I have speeds as shown. Me and my entire family. If this can't be solved I will change the network.

Pathfinder

I didn't realise I could attach images to these posts.

Here's the test I did earlier this evening, showing the situation is getting worse.

Capture 1.JPG

Pathfinder

and again...

Capture 2.JPG

3 Moderator

Hi Bajdo 👋 I can look into this for you. Can you Pm me your full address so I can look into this for you? Is this happening inside and outside your home and do you know if others in the area are also experiencing this? 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Pathfinder

Any movement on this?

Explorer

Screenshot_20170812-152642.pngScreenshot_20170813-222632.pngScreenshot_20170814-140210.png

As you can see, the problem is the same. 42 Mbps was measured on Sarsfield road, Limerick city centre. So it is not about the SIM card. 

You have offered me new SIM card. I took it and tried to activate. Here's the message I received: "

Hi there,

Thank you for Your SIM Activation request. Your reference number is: 04357196 

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your SIM Activation request as the information you provided us with does not match what we have in our system."

What is next?

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>