Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Three.ie saves my debit card CVV code on its servers

Lookout

A few times over the last year I've suspected I made a mistake when entering my CVV code on the credit purchase screen on three.ie.  Today I tested this by entering a random number as my security code, yet the transaction completed and my bank account was charged.

So this leads me to believe that Three are storing my debit card details and security code on their servers and asking me to enter my CVV code is only for show.

If this is true it would make three.ie non-compliant with PCI standards for securely maintaining customer information.  Anyone who can gain access to my information can empty my bank account.

So Three, how safe is my payment information on your servers?

Re: Three.ie saves my debit card CVV code on its servers

[ Edited ]
3 Moderator

Hi @Hum Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here to highlight this. I will investigate this for you and link in with the relevant teams on your behalf and come back to you here. Can you send me a PM with your mobile number or the number you've been topping up if it's different? Thanks'

3 Community Manager
@Hum I've looked into this on your behalf in order to ensure your concerns are addressed. Our processing partner is fully PCI compliant. We don't store customer's debit card or CVV numbers.
The transaction and CVV is cleared by your bank and not Three as the merchant. Thanks for getting in touch and if you need help with anything else just let me know.
Posted From Huawei ANE-LX1

Lookout

Hi Rachel,

I just spent a tenner on credit to prove you wrong.  I put in an incorrect security code, the payment completed within 5 seconds of pressing the "Done" button.

I attached a screenshot of the purchase screen below, needless to say my security code is not "555".

I did this test on a different computer with browser cookies and history cleared to ensure it's not a local browser issue.

So can you tell me how Three processed a payment to my debit card without my CVV number?

Screenshot_2018-10-09 Buy top-up - Top-up with a Payment card - Topping-up - My3.png

As a side note, clicking "What's this?" next to security code leads to a broken link displaying "Sorry, this service is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

3 Moderator

We can confirm that we do not store debit card or CVV numbers. The transaction and CVV is cleared by your bank and not Three as the merchant. If you’d like to check this further, you’ll need to speak with your bank. In terms of the broken link you mention, thank you for highlighting this, we’ve linked in with the relevant team to get this link back online. The link shows you how to find your CVV code but this has no impact on your top up.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>