Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Roaming with prepay broadband modem

Navigator

I'm using a Huawei mobile broadband device on a prepay plan in a car. We will be bringing the car to France this summer. How do I find out if my Three plan includes EU roaming?

The broadband connection is only used for car-related functions (traffic etc) so low data requirement. The cheapest prepay broadband add on is €15/mth for up to 1GB which is way more than needed. Is there a lower cost data-only alternative on bill pay that includes EU roaming?

Re: Roaming with prepay broadband modem

Maestro

Hey BR 👋

France is so lovely in the summer, you'll have a great time. Prepay Broadband can only be used in the ROI, we don't have any roaming Prepay plan that includes roaming usage for the EU I'm afraid. You can, however, use a Prepay Mobile SIM in your phone and you'd have 6GB of data to use 3.ie/dn3gc 👍

Legend

Enjoy France, its great travelling over there, will miss it this Summer :-(

Download maps before you go travelling so you dont need to worry about downloading the map  as you will only have 3G in France .

Navigator

@billbond4It's not for maps, it's for live traffic and a couple of other small real time data sources.

I guess the cheapest solution is to buy a cheap prepay sim card in France and stick that in the Huawei broadband device while we're there. From what I can see there's nothing from Three Ireland (prepay or bill pay) that would be anywhere near competitive with that.

Maestro

Thanks for coming back @BR - just to let you know the modem is locked to Three and we don't unlock modems but getting a Prepay SIM would give you 6GB of data to use. 

Navigator

@Three_JoolzActually I was just about to ask about that so thanks for anticipating the problem.

I'm trying to understand the options on prepay sim. I'm looking at https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/

If I get the "Prepay Visitor Trio SIM" can I put that into the Huawei modem?

And that's prepay, so I presume I can decide whether or not I want to continue topping it up by €20/month. Is that correct?

Navigator

What's the difference between "3Pay Trio SIM" and "Prepay Visitor Trio SIM"? They look identical to me except that one has 5GB limit on EU roaming data and the other has 6GB. Are there any other differences?

Maestro

The visitor SIM is specifically for users coming to Ireland from abroad. You can use the SIM card in a mobile phone but not in the modem. Is your mobile provider with Three? 

Navigator

My phone is bill pay Three, and of course I can just put the phone into hotspot mode and use that at home or EU roaming. However, turning hotspot mode on and off and connecting/disconnecting USB power so that it doesn't run down the phone battery is a pain.

The Huawei modem is tucked away in the car and powers on and off with the ignition, so it's basically set and forget.

What I really want is a way to allow the Huawei modem to do EU data roaming for a reasonable cost (very low data allowance is all that's needed).

Maybe an alternative is to buy the prepay Trio sim and put it in an old phone in hotspot mode, and tuck that away in the car while we're travelling.

Maestro

That sounds like a great idea @BR. If you get the Prepay SIM you'll have 6GB that you can use while driving around in France. You can order a SIM here http://bit.ly/2KF5D2r or pick one up in your nearest Three store 👍

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>