Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Questions about prepaid plan

Explorer

Hello,

I’m going to spend eight-nine days in Ireland at the beginning of June. I’m not from within the EU, therefore I have roaming fees (I could take a data pack for abroad from my operator, but they are not that attractive). That’s why I am considering buying a SIM card when I arrive in Ireland. I mostly need data, and perhaps send a few SMS. The 20 € prepaid plan from Three seems nice, but not being from Ireland, I was wondering whether there are any limitations I should be aware of? And, how much does a SIM card itself cost? I need to buy one in a shop in Dublin shortly after I arrive (I’ve already checked where the shops are), as I won’t be staying in a big city after that.

It is not possible to order my SIM card from abroad and receive it by mail, is it?

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice

Chosen Solution
Highlighted

Re: Questions about prepaid plan

3 Community Manager

Great idea 💪 Yes, €20 for the sim and the 28-day promotion. 

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

3 Community Manager

Hi Trí 👋 I hope you'll have a great time here. Bring clothes for all seasons though ☔️ 💨 ❄️ ☀️

Our prepay plan offers All You Can Eat Data and I think it will be perfect for you. The sim card is €20 and this activates the prepay promotion.I'd love to post you a sim myself but I have no way to take payment and our online shop only sends to Irish addresses.You'll need to get the sim in a store. Oh please make sure that your own phone is unlocked so that you can use it here and don't forget to bring a travel adapter for your charger 😊 Deb

Explorer

Go raibh míle maith agat as d’fhreagra, a Deborah! (I’m coming to Ireland for an intensive Gaeilge course Smiley Happy ) I’ll try asking the hotel where I’m going to stay one night in Dublin whether that would be okay for them if I order a card and ship it to their address. So, I only have to pay 20 € and the card is included in this special offer?

Highlighted

3 Community Manager

Great idea 💪 Yes, €20 for the sim and the 28-day promotion. 

Explorer

That’s awesome, thank you so much for the clarification!

No worries at all Trí. Let me know if you need absolutely anything else. Have a fantastic evening. 😊

Explorer

Hi again, and thank you for your kind reply. I’m sorry but I have a couple of other questions Smiley Embarassed

First, I don’t think that my idea of getting the card delivered to my hotel is going to work, because the web order form doesn’t even accept a billing address outside Ireland, and because it has to be delivered in person…

I have unsuccessfully tried to call the Three Store on Henry Street in Dublin (with the number there). Either it rings but nobody answers the phone, or I get a “This number isn’t valid” error after about 30 seconds. I think that the international prefix I used (00353 then remove the first 0 of the number – also tried with the 0 but then it’s always busy/invalid) is correct, otherwise I wouldn’t get a ringing, but I don’t know? Can they be contacted by e-mail?

Another thing I thought was that I might be able to buy a card at the airport. Or can this offer be bought only in a Three store or online? Furthermore, my plane arrives at 6pm, and after picking up my case and getting through the gates, the shops might be closed, and on the following morning in the city centre, I have about two hours to get a card before I have to take the bus Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
3 Community Manager

Oh No! Okay, why don't we try something slightly different here. How about this - You send me the name and address of the hotel you are staying in a week before you arrive in Ireland.  I'll send a Prepay SIM to the hotel with your name on the envelope.  Just to make sure everything runs smoothly, you'll need to contact the receptionist and make sure they know to expect this delivery and to hold it for you until you arrive. When you're at the airport, buy €20 Three credit in the newsagents and then when you arrive at the hotel, pop your new SIM in your phone and add the prepay voucher. The instructions are on the voucher print out Smiley Happy Sound good?

Explorer

Oh, that sounds great! I hadn’t thought that the limited offer would work with any top-up voucher. You are very helpful. Smiley Happy Yes, I’ll ask my hotel whether this is okay for them, and I’ll keep you updated as soon as possible

Maestro

Perfect 😍 We're here until 8pm so pop back to me when you get a chance 👍

Announcements

At Three we are updating our systems to make your 3Community experience even better. From Friday the 24th of January, the forum.three.ie community will become read-only in preparation for launching a new and improved 3Community later this year

All our useful tips and information can still be viewed in the posts and blogs. Once the new 3Community is ready to go, you will be the first to know. If you are a current member and need help during this time, you can still drop us a private message or alternatively contact us on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for all your contributions to 3Community and we are excited to welcome you to your new 3Community soon