Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Phone shows 4G instead of 4G+

Explorer

Over the past couple of days, I noticed my phone (HTC U11) no longer shows a '+' after the 4G in towns where I had 4G+ before. For example, in Killybegs, Donegal and Ballybofey, it now shows 4G instead of 4G+. 

Has anyone else noticed this change?

My phone's data performance seems fine, but just curious about the change. Smiley Happy

Chosen Solution

Re: Phone shows 4G instead of 4G+

Maestro

4g+.jpg

4G+ is there for me. Only time I don't see it is when I'm at home because I live quite a bit away from the mast

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic
Highlighted

Legend

3 things could cause this.

* An phone update, changes how the mobile data types are viewed.

* The mast you connected to might be upgraded and it doesnt tell your phone its a hsdpa+ connection your one.

* Mast may have an issue and hsdpa isnt available 

Explorer

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't think it's a phone update.  I wish HTC would release an update for my phone as it's still on Android 8.0.0 with the security patch level date 1st June 2018.

HSDPA is the 3G network.  When I put my phone in 2G/3G mode, it does go in HSDPA+.  However, in 4G mode, it used to show a '+' after the 4G also in some towns, such as shown here from an earlier earlier screenshot:

Phone with 4G+.png

I did get a message from Three saying they are working on the mast in my area, but didn't mention the town.  I was just curious to see if anyone else noticed this change. 

Maestro

4g+.jpg

4G+ is there for me. Only time I don't see it is when I'm at home because I live quite a bit away from the mast

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy

Explorer

Thanks for confirming as I began to wonder whether this was a nationwide change.  I'm curious to check more areas that I had 4G+. 

From checking around my workplace, I have noticed that the 4G signal is stronger since the change.  When it was 4G+, I usually had 4 bars (out of 5) lit at my desk and dropped to 2-3 bars walking around the warehouse, often switching to H+ (3G) mode.   Now I have a steady full 4G signal at my desk and 3-4 bars 4G walking around the warehouse.

That probably explains the network upgrade text as I thought it was about my home area, which is a signal black spot. 

Explorer

I just noticed 4G+ came back again around noon here in Ballybofey. Cat Happy

4G+ back on Three.png

Thanks again for your help.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>