Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Lost entire balance despite chargeable usage <6 months ago

Lookout

I have two Three SIM cards, which I've had for well over 7 years. One is ex-O2 (registered on this user account) and the other has always been on Three. I last used the latter on 19th February 2019 for a small amount of data roaming in London. This caused my balance to drop from €6.73 to €6.72. I have recently discovered that my balance has, at some point since then, dropped to zero, despite the chargeable usage being less than 6 months ago.

I have been on live chat to customer services, but they are useless. They can't see usage more than 4 months ago, so they don't have the tools to investigate. What's the solution to this?

I understand that chargeable usage to keep a SIM card active is now required every 12 months, rather than the previous 6 months. But my balance has still expired after less than 6 months. With usage history unreasonably hidden from customers, it makes it very difficult to prove anything to Three.

Re: Lost entire balance despite chargeable usage <6 month

Legend
It's not 12 months, it's 6 months to make a chargeable transaction and a topup to keep the account active

@NFH That balance of 6.72 is probably like an accumulation of various top ups and each top up has its own separate 6 month expiry or (180 days) so even though you used credit,  it uses the oldest top up. If that doesn't make sense to you, you could PM the mods to see if they can see further than 4 months.

@billbond4 is correct ist's still 180 days not 12 months.

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy

Lookout

@billbond4 wrote:
It's not 12 months, it's 6 months to make a chargeable transaction and a topup to keep the account active

@billbond4, thanks for your reply. Since when is a top-up necessary to keep the account active and where is this stated in the T&Cs? I have been a customer for over 7 years and have not topped up this SIM card since late 2012, yet I have kept it alive with small amounts of chargeable usage every 6 months.

Lookout

@Mac_n_cheese wrote:

That balance of 6.72 is probably like an accumulation of various top ups and each top up has its own separate 6 month expiry or (180 days) so even though you used credit,  it uses the oldest top up.

I don't believe that's true, and nothing in Three's T&Cs or other guidance suggests this. I have a screenshot that I took in 2013 that shows my €7.07 credit as:

Valid until: Won't expire**

** If you make at least one chargeable call every six months, you will keep your top-up credit active and prevent it from expiring. If you don't do this, your cash credit will expire after six months of non-use.

@NFH It is true. Each Top up holds a 180-day expiry and when you use credit you are using the earliest top-up, if you still have credit left from that top-up. I know this because I am both bill and pre and have been topping up every month for 5 years. Moving back to the advice though, I'd PM mods so it can be checked out and your mind put at ease. 

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy

Lookout

@Mac_n_cheese wrote:

Each Top up holds a 180-day expiry and when you use credit you are using the earliest top-up, if you still have credit left from that top-up.

That's not what the terms and conditions say:

4. Any credit purchased via a top up terminal or through our online top up facility (“vouchers”) shall expire if you do not make at least one chargeable outbound service usage in the 180 day period following activation of that voucher (eligible cash voucher period). This expiry period applies to each individual voucher applied to an account.

This is worded in such as way as it applies on a one-off basis, i.e. in the 180 days following the top-up being made. The terms and conditions no longer state that a chargeable action is needed every 6 months or 12 months on an ongoing basis, only within 180 days of activation of a top-up voucher.

3 Community Manager

@NFH Can you have a look at this blog about Prepay, All about Prepay You'll need to scroll down to the end for info regarding top ups expiring. In addition to this, some bonus credit does not expire until you use it all. This can mean that any chargeable calls are being made out of this bonus credit rather than your own top-ups. Send me a PM with your number(s), name, address and date of birth. With this info. I'll reach out to the relevant team regarding your credit. 

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>