Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

2G network with new sim card

Explorer

Hi,

I am a 3 customer since few years and I had a micro sim card on my phone that is a dual sim. I normally used the 3 sim on the 2G network without any issue.

Just recently I got a new mobile accepting nano sim card so I replaced the old one with the new.

The problem now I can not use anymore my phone on the 2G network. Normally the manual registration goes fine (I can call and receive calls) but it last few minutes. After a while the connections drops. Some time I simply can not connect to the 2G network (I get Network Registration failed).

Now I wonder if I can roll back to my previous old sim card that was just working with no issue on the 2G network. Or if there is a way to register the new nano sim card to the 2G network.

If not, I have to leave 3; I need to use it on my 2G phone.

Highlighted

Re: 2G network with new sim card

Legend
Sounds like an issue with your dual sim phone

[ Edited ]
Explorer

Hi,

I do not think so. The phone works perfectly on the 2G when I use the sim of the other provider.

I have been told in a local shop that 2G is not supported anymore with the new sim. I wonder if it is true and if I can swap back to the old sim (that I still have).

Alfredo

Legend
If your old sim was with 3,its a 3G only sim

Maestro

Hi acappari,

@billbond4 is right here but he may have an old O2 SIM. Can you tell me if the old SIM you have is still active? 

Explorer

Yes, I think the old sim were all 2G. That is the reason they worked fine.

But can I still reuse my old 3 2G card (that I still have)?

Explorer

@Three_Joolzwrote:

Hi acappari,

@billbond4is right here but he may have an old O2 SIM. Can you tell me if the old SIM you have is still active? 

Yes, my old Vodafone sim is still active and works just ok. The reason I can use is because I just cut the old micro sim to make a nano and use in my new phone.

Maestro

Is the SIM active or did you move your number to a new SIM? 

Maestro

If the SIM is still active then it can be used again 👍

Explorer

For the 3 sim, I moved my phone number on the new nano sim. The old micro sim is not active anymore.

Announcements

At Three we are updating our systems to make your 3Community experience even better. From Friday the 24th of January, the forum.three.ie community will become read-only in preparation for launching a new and improved 3Community later this year

All our useful tips and information can still be viewed in the posts and blogs. Once the new 3Community is ready to go, you will be the first to know. If you are a current member and need help during this time, you can still drop us a private message or alternatively contact us on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for all your contributions to 3Community and we are excited to welcome you to your new 3Community soon