Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Re: Mobile broadband

Pathfinder

I went to the Network search and selected 'manual'.  I did not see the options you listed.  My options were 3 4G, 3 3G, 3 3G and some other non-3 options that weren't available for selection.  Initially I selected one of the 3G options.  This broke the connection completely and I had to reset the router to get back online.  I then selected the 4G option (and then selected 'Auto' again) but it made no difference. The signal bars never changed I only ever get 1 or 2. 

I tried to use the internet after that but it was down every 2 or 3 minutes for about a minute so I just gave up.   I also have my phone with Three and the connection is very bad in the house.  I don't understand because I live in Harold's Cross in Dublin and I'm very close to two masts so I would expect a continuous signal.  There is no issue with the EIR phone that is in the house.

I really need someone to help sort this out as it's currently useless and next month my partner is going back to work (after maternity leave) and she will need stable broadband as she works from home.  As it is, it would be impossible for her to get anything done.

[ Edited ]
3 Community Manager

Thanks for trying that. When you say, selecting 3 3G broke the connection, do you mean that the connection failed and you couldn't re-connect? The area itself shows excellent coverage @ Fozzle You mentioned on Tuesday that you've had to use your phone, are you getting the same level of service or is the broadband less stable? I've checked the masts in your area also and they look to be up and running as normal. It might seem a bit obvious but have you moved the modem to different places around the house just to test that out? Also, to rule out anything that could be impacting the service in your own home, have you tried using the modem somewhere else as this is a great way of finding out if the issue is with the modem or the SIM? I want to get this sorted for you and understand the urgency so i'll check out all possibilities.

[ Edited ]
Pathfinder

Yes, when I selected one of the 3 3G options, the network status indicator on the router went red and I had to reset.  I have moved the router around the house and also added the extra antennae.  I haven't tried using it anywhere else as I work and have a small baby so don't get much time.  If I can I'll try doing this at the weekend.

My phone is with Three and I have the same problem in the house, it becomes unavailable frequently.  So I'd say the problem is with Three and not the router, phone or SIM.  Is it possible that because we're very close to two masts, the connection drops from one and picks up the other one?  I have read of other people with a similar problem.  Is there any way to force it to use a particular mast?

My partner is with EIR and the connection never drops.

3 Moderator

Can you private message your mobile broadband number and I'll check the main sites you connect to? I'll come back to you on this thread to continue this conversation 👍 

Pathfinder

Ok, thanks.  Unfortuatnely, I don't know the mobile broadband number.  How can I find it?  I'm guessing I'll have to wait until this evening when I'm at home.

[ Edited ]
3 Moderator

It'll be on your bill or you can also give the sim card number which'll be on the sim card in the modem. There's also the option of giving us the IMEI number, this will be printed on the label of the modem 👍

Explorer

Hi Fozzle

I live in the same area and also have 3 mobile broadband with the Huawei B525 router.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Antenna Settings - if you go into the router settings on your browser (192.168.8.1) and then System settings you'll find options for Antenna 1 & Antenna 2 (default setting Auto for both). You can change these settings and select either Internal, External, Mix or Auto.

Here's what I found:  Don't bother with the external antennae supplied with the router, they don't improve the signal. The best results I achieved was when 1 & 2 are set to Internal - I get 3-4 bars signal, but with the antennae I get only 2-3 bars. 

I do live in an upstairs apartment so maybe I get a better signal overall.

Pathfinder

Great, I'll try that later, thanks for the advice

3 Community Manager

@Fozzle I've replied to your PM, can you let me know if this is something that happens on all devices you connect to your broadband and if you've had the chance to try the router in another location? You mentioned that your phone connection seems to be better and there are no problems with service in your area which I've confirmed. This might be down to a problem with the modem/SIM so lets take it from there. 

Pathfinder
I've tried all suggested solutions to no avail. Signal strength is usually just one bar and connection keeps dropping.

I'll try the router in a different location over the weekend.
Posted From Generic Android 2.0
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>