Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!
  • Three_Rachel
  • 13-06-2019

Computer Tips and Tricks

by 3 Community Manager ‎13-06-2019 12:06 PM - edited ‎13-06-2019 02:52 PM (320 Views)

tip of week.jpg

Shortcuts are not all bad especially when it comes to your computer! We've collated a few tips and tricks for you here! Check them out Smiley Happy

General Tips and Tricks

If you've accidentally closed a tab prematurely, you can reopen it with ease. To reopen a closed tab, simply press Ctrl + Shift + T and this will reopen the most recently closed tab. You can then get back to what you were doing (Cmd + Shift + T on Macs).

Have you ever seen someone snapping a window to either side of the monitor? This can be so useful and is one of my favourite shortcuts! To snap the windows press the Windows Key + Arrow Keys. Any new coders out there will love this because they can make changes to their HTML file and then see the effect on their boilerplate at the same time.

What about those little mistakes you may have made? Don't worry, you can undo almost any mistake using the following keys Ctrl + Z. Most people use these shortcuts for undoing typing but did you know this can be used for much more? If you accidentally delete or move a file, press Ctrl + Z to bring it right back to where it was (Ctrl + Y will redo whatever you undid) You're Welcome!

You're in the middle of your workday or you're working on a school project and suddenly your monitor is freezing or it's just painfully slow, sound familiar? We've all been there and some resort to shutting down the computer which takes a lot of time because you then have to start it again and reopen all the programs you were working with.

Step away from the shutdown key Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open up the task manager which shows you all the programs that are currently running. Go through them and select the programs you do not need then select "End Task". Now your computer is only running the programs you want to run!
macOS: Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Select your user and click on the Login Items tab. You can remove or hide startup applications from here.

Typing Tricks

Copying and pasting using your keyboard is something most people are aware of Ctrl+C (Copy) Ctrl+V (Paste) but this will copy and paste formatted text which you may not want. Ctrl+Shift+V will paste unformatted text i.e. plain text.

Delete an entire word Instead of deleting a single letter by pressing Ctrl + Backspace. This action will delete the full word behind the cursor

If you want to move from one window to another then it's pretty simple just press Alt + Tab.
For macOS the shortcut is Cmd + Tab

Web Browsing Tips

If you want to move straight to the address bar on your browser without having to use your mouse just press Alt + D. 

To automatically type .com into the address bar just press Ctrl + Enter.

Scroll down the page using the space bar (it does this in sections so it's not a smooth scroll but it works). 

Private browsing is something you might need from time to time. Here's a rundown on shortcuts for a few browsers:

• Chrome - Ctrl + Shift + N
  • Firefox and Internet Explorer - Ctrl + Shift + P
  • shift + space will take you back up

If you have any other shortcuts that you use then we'd love to hear from you. Just reply to this article below with your tips and tricks. Thanks'

Comments
by Legend
on ‎14-06-2019 01:53 PM

That snappy window shortcut is handy.

My one i use the most is Windows Key + L to quickly lock the computer.

by
on ‎14-06-2019 11:21 PM
Oh I didn't know about that for locking! I will try that myself tomorrow, cheers!
by Legend
on ‎19-06-2019 03:17 PM

Or Windows Key + e 

Is a quick way to open File Explorer

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>