Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!
Accepted Solution

Huawei B525 WiFi so slow, not what i was expecting at all

[ Edited ]
Scout

Hi,

I'm living in Dublin 1, Just got the Three Broadband package two days ago, set it up, only 1 or 2 bars coming up on the router, did a speed test, got about 1mb download and 2mb upload, I'm not a newbie to tech,

so as i use Eir for my smart phone, i created a hot spot for my laptop via the phone (eir) and i was getting faster speeds than i was on three, this is not on, i have also checked this using a 2 tablets and various smart phones, It's still the same, i shouldn't be getting such slow speeds, is there a problem in the area, as i'm thinking of bringing the router back and cancelling my contract.  not very happy.

Chosen Solution

Re: Huawei B525 WiFi so slow, not what i was expecting at al

[ Edited ]
3 Moderator

Hi @Grego, if you follow the below steps, you'll be able to change this setting. 

1. Open a browser ( chrome ) and in the URL address box type in - 192.168.8.1

2. Log-in details are - Username: admin and the same for the password ( unless you ever changed them in the past )

3. When you're logged in click settings on the top of the screen

4. Go to 'WLAN Basic settings' and you'll find the 2.4ghz and 5ghz options in here

5. If you're connected to 5 ghz can you choose 2.4 or if connected to 2.4 choose 5. When you've this selected can you see if you notice an improvement?

50mbps is a very good speed to be getting on the router 😊 Mobile data speeds and wifi speeds can differ. For example, your router speed can be affected by external factors (walls/distance from the router etc) whereas this won't affect mobile data as much as its only the one device you're using. Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

Leader

Hi @Brian69

Firstly, I'd like to welcome you to the Community! Smiley Very Happy I'm sorry to hear that your speeds aren't as fast as expected! We have a few ways to try improving the speeds, if you can give them a go? Have you tried out disabling 2.4ghz signal in the router setting? When you log into it > Go to wlan settings and click into basic. There you'll see 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Your router could be emitting both by default so the theory is if you switch off 2.4 then you'll be using 5ghz which is faster. 

Alternatively, you can also try switching to 3G only and restarting the modem to see what speeds are like on 3G? In case they're better than 4G in your area?

Let me know how you get on! 

Scout

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the prompt reply, i will give that a go when i get home from work and let you know if the speed is any better.

Regards,

Brian.

Leader

That's perfect Brian, hopefully this will help  but definitely keep us posted either way! 😊

Scout

Hi Lisa,

I signed up for 3 broadband a few weeks ago, and the speeds are very disappointing. I just followed your advice on disabling the 2.4g and only enabling the 5g and the download speeds I'm getting are less than 1mbps on the standard broadband speed test. 

If I switch to using my Virgin mobile phone as a hotspot, I get download speeds of nearly 7 mbps, which is really frustrating as it's same network! I'm living alongside a 3 mast which makes this even more odd.

Please advise.

Thanks,

m

[ Edited ]
Maestro

@omathum2Are you using it wired or wireless (the 5ghz I mean)? where have you the router? It can take a while but if you try a few different places around your house, you might find the best spot. Are you always only getting 1 or is it in the evening? Anyone in your house using it to upload or any high users? - gaming will affect anyone else trying to use the broadband? Turn it off at least once a day and try moving to 3G connection if it happens in the evening which could be down to more people using 4G at that time. 

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy

Legend
Sometimes you can be too close to a mast to get a good signal, try moving the router to different locations and see if that helps

Posted From Generic Android 2.0

Scout

I'm using the 5ghz network wirelessly with the 3 Huawei B525 router. I've tried it a few places around the house and that makes no difference. In the evenings at peak times, it's well below 1mbps. Even during the day tho, it's not much better. There's only 1 other user and she only uses for her phone, so it's not that. Even if there are more people using in the evening, it should not be that slow. That's not the quality of service I signed up for. Even allowing for contention and others using it at peak times, it should be better than that.

3 Community Manager

@omathum2 Would you like us to take a closer look at your service to see if there's work going on in the area? Do you know where your local mast is and the direction it faces? If so, place the router in that direction at that side of house/apartment and see how you go over the next 24 hours. I know this has helped others experiencing the same thing and if you still need some help then come back to me here or just send me a PM with the account details so I can run some tests. 

Scout
Hi Lisa, could I please ask where I can access such settj hs. I am using the mobile app on my smart phone to manage the router's setting but it is extremely limited.
Also, my speed test results show a much higher reading on my smartphone when connected to 3's 4G network but on the router I don't seem to go over 50mbps. Is there a limiter on this router or it is simply not able for more? Regards greg
Posted From Apple iPhone
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>