Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!
Accepted Solution

How can I find out if my PC has been turned into a Zombie?

Scout
In the past two or three months my Internet Add-ons seem to be running out quite a lot faster than in the past, thus in practice increasing the cost of my Internet access. So I am somewhat concerned that my PC may have been turned by hackers into a zombie for something like bitcoin-mining (although other innocent explanations may also be possible). If so, this would mean that I would in effect be paying Three for the hackers' illegal but profitable use of my computer.

Is there any cheap and simple way that I can check whether that is the case?

Note: I run Microsoft Security Essentials every week, and it hasn't reported anything of the kind. But presumably an activity like bitcoin-mining, assuming it is a real phenomenon, as warned about on some British TV channel (BBC2, I think), can only work if Microsoft Security Essentials can't see that it's going on.

Chosen Solution

Re: How can I find out if my PC has been turned into a Zombi

Anonymous

Hi Frank, Can I also ask do you use any torrent sharing software like Utorrent as programs like this can be a high risk to the security of your pc. What I also recomend is to login to the Three settings homepage (192.168.8.1) of your modem to find out are their any unusual devices connecting to it.  

- Enter the i.p 192.168.8.1 into the URL address bar of your browser

- Login using the username: admin password: admin (unless you have changed this yourself)

- Click on settings

- Over to the left of the page click on security a drop down menu will appear

- Click device management  

- This will now show you all I.P address that have connected to your broadband in the past and may shed some light on your usage also

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic
Highlighted

Legend

Do you have your wifi network setup as a metered connection in Windows?

Anonymous

Hi Frank, Can I also ask do you use any torrent sharing software like Utorrent as programs like this can be a high risk to the security of your pc. What I also recomend is to login to the Three settings homepage (192.168.8.1) of your modem to find out are their any unusual devices connecting to it.  

- Enter the i.p 192.168.8.1 into the URL address bar of your browser

- Login using the username: admin password: admin (unless you have changed this yourself)

- Click on settings

- Over to the left of the page click on security a drop down menu will appear

- Click device management  

- This will now show you all I.P address that have connected to your broadband in the past and may shed some light on your usage also

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>