Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Broadband unusable in Rathkennt, Navan, Meath

Explorer

Hi, 

I have posted here before about mobile broadband being slow in my area however it is just getting ridiculous at this stage. We are barely getting 1Mb most of the time which is just not acceptable. The worst part is we actually use to get good speeds of 25-30Mb but in the past 2 years, the service has just been getting worse until now. I do not expect to get speeds equivalent to fibre broadband but I would like to be able to load a website when I need to. Is there really nothing that can be done?

Re: Broadband unusable in Rathkennt, Navan, Meath

3 Community Manager

@maryfarrelly I'll be happy to help you here. Are you at home with your router now?  If so, we can go through some steps together to see if it helps. If not, you can come back to me here when you are. You're using the B525 Router which is a 4G router but have you tried connecting to 3G only to see if it helps? I've checked your address and there are patches of 4G availability but 3G is more widespread there. Let me know Smiley Happy 

Explorer
Hi Rachel, yes I am home with the router. I have tried switching to 3g however the speeds are still less then 1mb most of the time. I have also tried turning of the 2.4ghz band which I read on another thread however it did not help

3 Community Manager

Sorry for any delay here, Mary. Turning that 2.4ghz off should help but only if you are connecting your broadband to your laptop via ethernet cable i.e. wired not wireless. Have you ever logged into your modem to view the set up?

Explorer

Oh I see, I have logged in yes, do you mean any settings in particular? 

3 Community Manager

Your network settings in particular can you Manually select the 3G option in your network settings please?  Make sure you save your changes as well or it will revert to 4G. 

Explorer

I have switched to 3g and I'm getting about 0.6Mbps

3 Community Manager

Thanks, Mary. If you're using a laptop or computer can you connect the modem to it via Ethernet cable and then run a speed test? Let me know if your speeds change then and we can take it from there.

Explorer

On ethernet, I got an average of 690 over three tests

3 Community Manager

Are we talking Kbps, Mary so 690 Kbps? Have you ever tried using the router at a different location and when you got this router did you also get a new SIM with it? Sorry for all the questions. Before i do a full analysis of your service I just want to be able to rule out a few things, if that's okay?

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>