Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Broadband + VPN => can't connect to google.ie, three.ie but other websites work

[ Edited ]
Pathfinder

Hi,

I have a mobile broadband SIM (60GB) with a B315 router. Since some upgrades in the area I get really good and reliable 4G connection all the time.

Problem: When I connect to my company's VPN I can no longer access certain websites like google.com, google.ie or three.ie.

I also can't collect my email, however some websites work, like e.g. bing.com and many others, I can use Skype (even with Video) or connect via FTP to websites.

I can ping google.com, google.ie etc. but when opting the sites in the browser I get the cannot find web sites error, as if I had no internet.

Interestingly: I also have a 3 SIM in my phone (HTC Desire 620). When I switch on the Portable WiFi hotspot, connect the laptop and switch on VPN I can get everything, no problem.

What is different between my Three broadband connection and my Three phone connection that could cause this?

I tried switching the APN for the broadband router from 3broadband to 3broadband.ie => made no difference.

I also checked that the router firmware is up-to-date.

Thanks

Chosen Solution

Re: Broadband + VPN => can't connect to google.ie, three.

[ Edited ]
Pathfinder

As posted earlier: The problem seems related to using 4G. Apparently DNS resolution (= finding the correct IP address for a web site)  differs on 4G and the issue happens also on other 4G networks.

The solution that works for me for a good while now is to set the router to 3G only. I have the B315 and using the HUAWAI HiLink App this is quickly done from my mobile:

• Open the App and go to Settings (cog icon) => Network => Network Carrier => Preferred Network
  • Select "3G-only"

I find this is easily fast enough for work and I can switch back to 4G quickly to watch Netflix etc.

I didn't mark this as solution earlier, because I hoped there may be some improvements still to be made, but nothing has changed. I'll mark it as solution  now, so people can find it.

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

Re: Broadband + VPN => can't connect to google.ie, three.ie but other websites work

Legend
It might be something to do with the adult filter block, request three to disable it on your broadband ac and see if that helps

Posted From Sony E5823

Re: Broadband + VPN => can't connect to google.ie, three.ie but other websites work

Legend

3 Staff

Hi @bgx can you pop me a PM with your number, name, address and DOB? 

Anonymous
I wish to purchase a mobile broadband connection I am told to be able to view my CCTV cameras over the network I need a puiblic IP address I am told by 3 this is not available with a dynamic IP address ? Please advise
Posted From Apple iPhone

Maestro

Hi Bernard, can you restart the modem now. Our tech team have updated your profile. 

Pathfinder
Thanks Julie,
I will do when I get home in the evening.
Best regards, B

Maestro

Any issues pop back to us here 👍

Pathfinder
Hi Julie,

I rebooted the router twice yesterday evening => no difference.

I also put my phone SIM card into the router and tried => same issue, I assume this means the problem lies somewhere with the router or the router set-up, not with the account.

I tried switching off the firewall on the router and enable DMZ for the IP address the laptop wath associated with => no difference.

I noticed, though that if I go to Settings > System > Diagnosis in the router admin dashboard and ping the test sites, I never get through to google.ie or three.ie, while I do get a response from bing.com, regardless whether the VPN is on or not. Maybe this has something to do with it. I attached a screenshot of the output.

I can ping google.ie successfully from the laptop, even with VPN, note though that this is resolved to an IP4 address, while from the router dashboard it resolves to IP6 and immediately comes back as “not reachable”. Is there way to disable IP6 on the router?

Pinging three.ie is odd, I don’t get a response on teh laptop either, even if VPN is off and I can browse the web site...?

Cheers, B

ping_3.jpg

Maestro

Hi bgx, what type of router do you have?

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>