Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

4g slows in evenings

Lookout
Hi,

I am in the ballybofey area in co.donegal. My 4g coverage during the day is really good, getting anywhere between 10-20 mb/s download speeds. However in the evening, after 8/9 o'clock the speed drops dramatically, to normally lower than 1 m/bs. I have tried the three chat, but the person talking to me wasnt very helpful. Just told me there was nothing he could do. Is there reason this is happening? I have tried resetting and turning on and off phone etc and nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any help
Posted From Apple iPhone

Re: 4g slows in evenings

Leader
The area could be congested because of the amount of people on it.
Posted From HTC M8

Lookout
But to slow that much is it normal? In the mornings I can get around 20 m/bs. I'm struggling to get 1 at the moment
Posted From Apple iPhone

Could you send me on your number, address and date of birth in a PM and I'll follow this up for you?

Lookout
Sent you on the details Stephen. At the minute I am getting 45 m/bs. Last night it was under 1.
Posted From Apple iPhone

Thanks @shane94c, I've gotten back to your PM now.

Explorer
I am in Kilcolman and have exactly the same issue with 4G.
After 6pm I get under 1Mbps down and about 4 Mbps up. After midnight it goes up to between 20-40Mbps down. We have 4 phones on the 3 Network and 1 broadband 4g router and all suffer the same issue. I am about to switch networks as it is unusable in the evenings which is when we need the service most.
Posted From Generic Android 2.0

[ Edited ]

Sounds like traffic is causing overloading on the masts. have you tried a few steps that have helped other members? More recently I read disabling the 4G and using 3G if speeds drop because less traffic using that network? I've said it a few times because it has helped. There's no guarantee itll be any better on another network though just be careful because traffic will cause this when dealing with mobile broadband and data as well. @Graysc 

Explorer
Thanks for the reply.
I have also found that changing to 3G normally does increase the download speed to around 4Mbps at night but changing this on all 4 Phones and the router is a pain as we have to change back to 4G during the day. Capacity Planning seems to be a persistent issue on the 3 Network. I have tested 4G with a Vodaphone work phone at home and get around 30-40Mbps download.

3 Community Manager
@Graysc I'd like to take a look at your speeds and service. Can you send me the numbers you've mentioned in a PM and I'll link in with the technology team to take a look? It sounds like it's in relation to peak/off peak use @Michael_Mick mentioned this. An investigation will help to determime the cause.

Thanks'
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>