Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

4G service interference

Explorer

Since Friday morning (23rd March), I am getting interference from what appears to be a new Three 4G mast.

Going by my Huawei router's info page, the new CELL_IDs causing problems are 471047 / 471046.  Whenever my router switches to either of these, my Internet connection drops.  Smiley Frustrated

I never saw those cell IDs before, so I presume they are from a new Three mast across the bay, such as Co. Sligo coastal area.  This probably explains why that mast will not let my router connect as it's probably outside the range limit, even though my router keeps trying.

I managed to get my router back on the local mast by placing it next to the chimney blockwork, such that it obstructs the bay.  I now have an Internet connection with the local cell ID 218886 again (here in Kilcar, Co. Donegal), however, the signal quality (RSRQ) has dropped, often between -12dB and -19dB.  Before last week, it rarely got worse than -8dB.

Is there any way the network team could reduce the transmission power of that new 4G mast with the cell IDs 471047 and 471046?

Chosen Solution

Re: 4G service interference

Explorer

In case anyone else runs into this issue, I now have a stable 4G connection again after buying a directional 4G antenna.  It attaches to the two SMA connectors at the back of the router.

Cell causing problems.pngBefore I ordered the antenna, I tried a prepay Three SIM in my phone and used the Network Signal Info app to show roughly the locations of the masts it connects to on a map.  In forced LTE mode, the phone started flipping back and forth between the two masts (just like the router), showing a signal for a few seconds, then no service.  When it showed no service, it was trying to connect to a 4G cell (in screenshot) about 47km away! 

I was determined to get my service back as I was faced with either putting up with a much slower 3G connection or going back to my former slow DSL connection.  It took careful aiming of the antenna, between picking up that unwanted mast and loosing the signal.  The local mast is about 30 degrees apart from the bay.  The evening time speed also seems better than before the issue first started.

I also had to get an LTE filter for my TV aerial as RTE 1 kept breaking up.  At first I thought my TV antenna moved until I realised the timing was too coincidental and that the TV antenna points over the bay. 

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

3 Moderator

Hi Seán , can you send me a private message with your broadband number, full name, address and date of birth please and I'll check the mast you're connecting to? Have you always been connecting to 4G on your router? If you connect using 3G, do your speeds improve? Aoife

Explorer

I sent you the details in a private message.

I was getting a steady 3 bar 4G signal from the day I joined Three broadband up until Friday morning.  I did check 3G over the weekend, but had a similar issue.  It would only connect when I moved the router such that there was something obstructing the bay direction, in this case the chimney blockwork.

3 Moderator

Perfect, thanks Seán. I've just got back to your PM and will continue to help you there 😊

Explorer

Sadly, this ended up unresolved. Smiley Sad

Basically, a Three broadband connection that goes up and down in a loop is deemed a perfectly working service according to Three's technical support, as long as the speed is above 0.5Mbps when it's up.

Explorer

In case anyone else runs into this issue, I now have a stable 4G connection again after buying a directional 4G antenna.  It attaches to the two SMA connectors at the back of the router.

Cell causing problems.pngBefore I ordered the antenna, I tried a prepay Three SIM in my phone and used the Network Signal Info app to show roughly the locations of the masts it connects to on a map.  In forced LTE mode, the phone started flipping back and forth between the two masts (just like the router), showing a signal for a few seconds, then no service.  When it showed no service, it was trying to connect to a 4G cell (in screenshot) about 47km away! 

I was determined to get my service back as I was faced with either putting up with a much slower 3G connection or going back to my former slow DSL connection.  It took careful aiming of the antenna, between picking up that unwanted mast and loosing the signal.  The local mast is about 30 degrees apart from the bay.  The evening time speed also seems better than before the issue first started.

I also had to get an LTE filter for my TV aerial as RTE 1 kept breaking up.  At first I thought my TV antenna moved until I realised the timing was too coincidental and that the TV antenna points over the bay. 

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>