Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

4G Mast - Urgent Upgrade Needed

Navigator

This screenshot speaks for itself:

speed.jpg

Myself and family have been using 3 on phones/for broadband in rural Sligo for several years now. The 4G mast is extremely close, and we have clear line of sight with a permanent 5 bar signal (see how good the ping is in the above screenshot).

By night the download rate is 20-30 Mbps, but every day it plummets to between 0.5 and 1.5 Mbps, dropping as low as 0.25 Mbps during peak times in the evening. It's basically unusable.

I KNOW this is an issue with the mast, as switching to another network with the same hardware solves the issue. You can also tell based on the incredibly strong upload rate (see above). There is clearly too many users sharing too little downstream bandwidth. 

This could be solved by upgrading the mast to support larger downstream bandwidth, which needs to be done urgently. If it isn't, myself and family will be switching to another provider, and I suspect there are many more people in the same situation.

Re: 4G Mast - Urgent Upgrade Needed

Maestro
Yeah I think that's always the answer when download is hit like that in a particular area. Rural sligo though, how rural? Is it worth the cost of putting another mast up with population count? Are those your 4 G speeds?
I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Posted From Samsung SM-N960F

Navigator

They shouldn't need to add new masts, just upgrade the hardware in the existing one, as it's not a question of range, just available bandwidth.

This is the only internet option for people in rural areas outside of towns, so there'll be a heck of a lot of customers in the same position as me. Personally I will switch to O2 within 6 months if this isn't resolved. It's been getting gradually worse for over a year now, to the point that just about all we can do in the evenings is check e-mail. That's not acceptable for a 4G connection which we're all paying for.

Legend
The mast maybe fine, but the issue is with the backhaul.
Thats the link between the mast and the core network.
One mast maybe connected by fiber optic cable to the core network so you have plenty of bandwidth for users to share.
But another mast maybe connected by a radio link to the core network so the bandwidth for users to share is more limited and that might be the issue for you.
Its worth getting a ticket logged

Posted From Generic Android 2.0

Maestro
O2? Did you mean something else? You said sligo which is Ireland but there's no O2 here
I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Posted From Samsung SM-N960F

3 Moderator

@Danjken, Hi there, I'll be able to check the coverage in your area if you PM me with your address. I'll also be able to look at 3G/4G availability 👍 

[ Edited ]
Navigator

@billbond4 I think you're absolutely right. Being a rural mast I doubt they've prioritised installing a fibre optic line. 

But this is something that needs to change urgently as 3G speeds right now are far better than 4G on this mast. To be honest, I'd rather they throttled everyone at 3Mb/s during the day/evening if it meant a consistent speed until they upgrade the network.

[ Edited ]
Navigator

I'm in south Sligo near the Mayo border and my 4G router can pick up an O2 tower with a good signal. I do have an outdoor aerial mounted up an 8m mast though.

There's also a Meteor mast within range. Anything has got to be better than 3 right now.

Highlighted

Navigator

I'm in Tipperary and having the same issue. Three are saying there is no problem so get used to months of being told to change settings and move the router. 

Going by this forum, there are issues all over the country with the network and its the same issue.

I'm getting 0.10mbs download right now. 

Posted From Huawei ANE-LX1

Navigator

I expect the uptake in rural areas over the last few years has been huge, but they're going to lose all those customers if they don't upgrade the downstream capacity of rural masts - if that means installing fibre optic lines across the country then they need to do it quickly.

In the evenings all I can do is check email/post on forums. Forget streaming anything - even images load painfully slowly in rows, like in the old 56k days. That's really not acceptable for the monthly charge.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>