Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Re: 3 throttling 4g speeds

Maestro

Forgive my ignorance but speeds dropping in Eve and weekend is when most people use service and if they are using it like everyone else to stream and download as well as powering all other rthings connected at home then that's going to take up the bandwidth and result in lower speeds. I move to 3 G in the evening and do get better speeds at that time so it's worth mentioning in case it helps others. There are settings on the b525 that can be changed and helps also. There's only so much badwidth to go around and I think the answer is to upgrade equipment. Far as I know they are doing that. I got a text the other day about my location. Again I'm no expert but I have recommended the settings change and 3 G frequency if speeds drop at a specific time. 

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Posted From Generic Android 2.0

Navigator
Just took out 30 day contract with a free B525 router, getting 0.6-2mb on it with full 4g signal. A pay as you go phone on three right next to it gets 20mb. Pop that sim into the router and boom the router can also do 20mb+.

Clearly three are throttling the broadband contracted sims. Anyone from three able to do anything about it? I’m 48 hours into the contract and already want to cancel.
Posted From Apple iPhone

3 Moderator

Hi @Goofy and welcome to the Community 👋 I'm sorry to hear that you want to cancel, let's see if I can turn this around for you. Going off of what you're saying, it sounds like there is a fault with the broadband SIM. This is because other SIM's are working much better in the device. If you'd like to PM me your address, I can post you out a free replacement SIM? 

Navigator
Sim arrived but no better. Running less than 1Mb. Frustrating considering the modem has full 4g+ signal. My Vodafone mobile is getting 40Mb right next to it too ☹️
Posted From Apple iPhone

Maestro
@Goofy have you tried playing with the settings and changing the APN of your brand and SIM? Let me know what the APN is set to right now

Legend

I would try moving the router to a higher position and in the direction of the 3 mast.

download opensignal app on your phone to help

Navigator
It’s just set to 3 Ireland (default), apn: 3internet. What else could I try?

Tonight I get 0.16MB down, 16MB up.

Tried other rooms, it’s the same deal everywhere. Maybe three 4G is just terrible in Cobh, despite getting full signal.
Posted From Apple iPhone

Maestro
@Goofy 3Ireland you could try

Navigator
Have switched to 3ireland.ie as google suggests that’s the alternative, and also found a hidden option on the B525 to change DNS so switched that to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 . It seems to be hovering around the 4-6MB mark this evening. Don’t know if it’s coincidence, shall watch for a few days...
Posted From Apple iPhone

I live in Ballaghaderreen, Roscommon and every day my speed reduces from anything up to 45Mb daytime to sometimes less than 1 in the evening.  My router gets 4 or 5 bars 4G and using wireless 2.4 or 5GHz, or plugging directly into the back of the router doesn't help.

Like most people, I really only need to use BB for streaming in the evening and it's a complete non-starter. If you want to watch Netflix, you better make sure you start watching early and your programme doesn't run past 5pm in the evening.

I'm really annoyed that I'm trapped less than half way through my contract. Why I tried the online chat with Three, they asked me to run through all the usual checks which invariably meant re-booting my router which of course immediately ended the chat session. A complete waste of time and I'm just counting the days until I can leave.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>