Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: 3 throttling 4g speeds

3 Community Manager

Okay, thanks for letting me know. Last Sunday night we noticed some of our customers were having difficulty with their data service so our tech team immediately got to work and had this sorted before 11pm. Does that match the time you noticed the disconnections? 4G is subject to availability and that really depends on things like location, building structure and the environment. The plan you're on is our unlimited broadband plan and using 4G isn't charged but it isn't guaranteed. In saying that, we are investing in upgrading our infrastructure which is under way so our data services will continue to get better and better. Here's one of our 3MadeEasy blogs which might help -  Improve your mobile broadband signal Let me know if you notice any improvement later this evening.

I'm more than happy to get your service analysed as well just to be sure we've covered everything so if you don't see an improvement, send me a PM with your account info: full name, number, address and date of birth. 

3 Community Manager

@Vince_C Actually just had a bit of a brainwave here. Can you try the following: Disable 2.4ghz signal in the router setting when you log into it > Go to wlan settings and click into basic. There you'll see 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Your router could be emitting both by default so the theory is if you switch off 2.4 then you'll be using 5ghz which is faster. Give it a go and let me know Smiley Happy

Navigator

Thank you!!!

I have disabled the 2.4ghz signal and rebooted the router. 

4G speed is running at 10+Mbps tonight as opposed to 0.10Mbps last night.

The only remaining issue is that my old laptop can't see the 5ghz WiFi network, but as I connect to the router directly via ethernet cable it is worth the lack of mobility. 

Thank you again Smiley Happy

3 Community Manager

Oh that's fantastic @Vince_C I'm delighted to hear that. If you're happy with that you can select it as a solution under my reply Smiley Happy

Are your drivers up to date on your computer?

Can you try the following to see if your computer has this capability? - 

1. Click Start menu.

2. Press Windows key and (at the same time). A run dialog will appear.

3. Type cmd in. Click Ok.

4. On the Command prompt window, type “netsh wlan show drivers“. Press Enter.

5. Look for the “Radio types supported” section.

If it says that the network adapter supports 802.11g and 802.11n network modes, it means that the computer has 2.4 GHz capability

If it says that the adapter supports 802.11a and 802.11g and 802.11n network modes, it means that the computer has 2.4 GHz and 5GHz capability.

Navigator

Thanks for the suggestion.

My wireless adaptor is 802.11n only.

@Three_Rachelwrote:

Oh that's fantastic @Vince_C I'm delighted to hear that. If you're happy with that you can select it as a solution under my reply Smiley Happy

Are your drivers up to date on your computer?

Can you try the following to see if your computer has this capability? - 

1. Click Start menu.

2. Press Windows key and (at the same time). A run dialog will appear.

3. Type cmd in. Click Ok.

4. On the Command prompt window, type “netsh wlan show drivers“. Press Enter.

5. Look for the “Radio types supported” section.

If it says that the network adapter supports 802.11g and 802.11n network modes, it means that the computer has 2.4 GHz capability

If it says that the adapter supports 802.11a and 802.11g and 802.11n network modes, it means that the computer has 2.4 GHz and 5GHz capability.

3 Community Manager

No problem at all.  You probably knew it wasn't already Smiley Happy Mine is the same and I use the cable as well. Let me know if you need anything else. 

[ Edited ]
Lookout

thankyou for yor post .it helped me a lot

*post edited 

[ Edited ]
3 Community Manager

Glad to hear it @rafat Hopefully these steps will help other community members as well Smiley Happy  

Lookout
Im having the same problem. Im living outside kinsale co cork. I have an external MIMO antenna pointing to the mast in kinsale. By day im getting 45 Mb in the evening im luck to get 3 Mb. My cousin lives closer to the airport and he is pointing to the mast there and he's experiencing the same issues as me. It's like clock work. There is a number of houses that I know of all experiencing the same problem. What is the story. Can this be fixed or is the network being throttles?

More people using data at that time is the issue I'd say, happens to me too.
I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>