Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Three and the Huawei Debacle..

Lookout

Hi All,

I just wanted to voice my dissatisfaction with Three and the Huawei debacle. I upgraded late last year to a P20, and have now found out, as we all have, that Huawei are being dropped left right and centre by both US firms, Google being the main one, Panasonic, and ARM in the UK. For those who are unaware, ARM are the guys who manufacture the processors that nearly all smartphones in the world use.

I have no issue with Three as a carrier, but I have major concerns about Huawei. The hardware is great and all for now, but when things start to go pear-shaped, what then? I'll be left with a phone that doesn't do what I wanted it to do - integrate with Google and the services that come with it.

I don't have any information as to where to go to get rid of the phone, Three aren't very helpful, there's no information on the site, nothing. It's almost as if it isn't happening. Is no one else a little concerned? Why is there no help coming from Three? What are my options? I just want to get rid of the handset, not necessarily change my contract, or If I do, make a new one, to change handset and continue with Three. 

Honestly, help a little. I'm one person, Three deal with Huawei on a massive scale, so should be able to work something out.

Re: Three and the Huawei Debacle..

Maestro

@Lars It's not a Three debacle. it's between Huawei and google, in fact it's not even between them is the US and China. @Three_Rachel has confirmed that Updates will continue for all existing Huawei phones. There is no point in getting ahead of yourself considering all signs point toward everything continuing as normal. What do you expect to happen? Three, Vodafone, Eir to take back the phones? Also there's another 90 days and I've been listening to a lot of people talk about this, trading ban will likely be lifted but even if it isnt, Huawei have still stated that they will continue to provide the updates needed. 

I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy

Lookout

Thanks for the reply, but if you read the title I never said it was a Three debacle but a Huawei one, and it doesn't matter that it's a China/US dispute. User in Europe will be affected because of decisions made by an orange buffoon on the other side of the planet. Feel free to choose which buffoon I'm referring to. They both have equal status in my mind.

I am getting ahead of myself because if you don't react quickly, things can escalate and morph into another beast. I have no confidence in HUWAEI, so I'd like to know what my option are. That's not asking Three to sort out the issue, that me asking Three to help ME with MY concerns about HUAWEI, as a customer of thiers, because I have no information regarding going anywhere else.

Maestro

@Lars https://forum.three.ie/t5/Android/Android-to-block-Huawei/td-p/35737/page/2

@Three_Rachel updated there on page 2 a few times to address concerns and confirmed the same thing both Huawei and Google confirmed. They'll keep a close eye and continue to update I believe, they tend to do that here but right now this is everything.

Lookout

I can't argue that your facts are incorrect, however I would like to echo the points raised by  and  Three_Rachel  has responded.

Maestro

We just have to wait but billbond4 also makes a good point about how Huawei will have contingencies in place. There are still concerns but at least for now Three has responded to address with the information they have. 

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>