Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Overcharged for data usage while roaming

Explorer
Hi there,
I was in Switzerland from 12pm yesterday until 9am this morning. I had my data turned off almost all the time, and just turned it on once to download a train ticket. At 12.59, well after I had left Switzerland and re-entered the EU, I got a message from Three alerts saying I had spent €10.28 on data roaming/internet services. That was ok as I figured it was the cost of downloading the tickets in Switzerland, and that I would not be charged any more as I would not be outside of the EU again at any stage. Soon after however, I got another text to say I had spent €10 on internet services. I thought this might be an error as I had not left the EU again. And then, at 6.24pm, I got another message saying I have spent €61.50 on internet services.
I don’t understand where this sudden leap came from, as between 12.59pm (original message re data usage) and 6.24pm (last message), I had not left the EU again. I rang the Billpay department in Three and they couldn’t explain where the additional charge of €51.22 had come from in the time In between the messages from 3 Alerts. They said I will have to pay the fee in question, and then dispute it later. They confirmed that I have not exceeded my EU data usage allowance according to EU fair use policy.
So what’s going on with data roaming? I’m worried I’ll wake up in the morning to yet another text saying I have spent hundreds on internet services! If this is not resolved I will have to cancel my contract, as I will be travelling in and out of Switzerland again in the future and I don’t want to risk constantly having to dispute unfair charges. Is there anything you can do to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Anna

Re: Overcharged for data usage while roaming

3 Moderator

Hi Anna 👋 I'm very sorry to hear this. Do you still have your mobile data switched on? If not, when did you turn it off?  

Explorer
Hi Mairread, thanks for your reply. I have had data switched on since returning to the EU (I am currently in France), and was assured by the Billing team that this should be fine in terms of EU data roaming allowance.

Anonymous

Thanks for these details Anna. Let me check this out for you. Can you send a pm with your mobile number, name address and date of birth 😊

Explorer
Thanks Shane, just sent the details on there.
Highlighted

Explorer
Hi Shane, did you receive my PM?

Anonymous

Hi Anna I have received your pm. I'm just looking into this for you now and I will reply via pm 👍 Shane

Explorer
Hi again,

A quick update on the above. I received a message today at 13.31 from 50232 saying “From Three: Welcome to France. Your monthly allowance can be used in ROI and EU. EU fair use policy applies” etc etc. I have been in France since I originally opened this topic, and have not exited France (or the EU) at any stage. Normally I get the above message when I enter the relevant country; but at this stage I have been in France for six days. Could the original issue of being overcharged for data be caused by the network incorrectly noting my location as Switzerland until today?

I have also received a few calls from marketing agencies affiliated with Three, but each time have been unable to answer - do you have a record about whether these calls are linked to this issue? Thanks!!

Anna
Announcements

At Three we are updating our systems to make your 3Community experience even better. From Friday the 24th of January, the forum.three.ie community will become read-only in preparation for launching a new and improved 3Community later this year

All our useful tips and information can still be viewed in the posts and blogs. Once the new 3Community is ready to go, you will be the first to know. If you are a current member and need help during this time, you can still drop us a private message or alternatively contact us on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for all your contributions to 3Community and we are excited to welcome you to your new 3Community soon