Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Charged for calling 00800 which Three states is free to call

Scout

Before calling Tesco Clubcard's 00800 (international freephone) Helpline number, I checked both Three's T&C and did further online searches to confirm I would not be charged. I have a copy of Three's T&C which states that 00800 numbers are free to call, and also a screenshot of a Three staff member answering this question in the forum previously from someone querying whether calls to 00 800 00 59 16 88 would be charged: "I can confirm that 00800 numbers are free to call". I therefore dialled the number but could only be connected when putting 00 44 in front of it ("This is not a valid number" otherwise). When I got my bill, I'd been charged €16.03 plus VAT for calling it.

Since December, I have sent eight (very) patient emails to Three's "Customer Care" address outlining the issue very clearly and requesting this charge be refunded: either the charge is incorrect or I, the customer, was misled by false information about it being free to phone. The responses have been completely unhelpful, ignoring logic and consistency, and simply confirm in writing that I can't be connected to the call without putting 00 44 in front of it, which then results in a charge, and when I ask why then Three is claiming it's free to phone, the response that keeps being parroted back is that it's a valid charge because it's an international number. My patience has now worn thin and I'm extremely frustrated.

I made the calls to what's advertised as an international freephone number in good faith, based on Three's T&C and forum responses to those with a similar query. I've now been charged and want this item removed from my bill and - if the information that it is free to phone *is* false - this should be corrected immediately so that other customers do not find themselves in a similar position. 

Re: Charged for calling 00800 which Three states is free to

[ Edited ]
3 Moderator

Hi @CD,

I'm sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  

Let me look into this straight away for you. I'd also like to check the charges on your account. Can you send me a PM with your full name, address and date of birth? 

Legend
A side note, were you trying to get something with your clubcard tokens?

Posted From Generic Android 2.0

Scout
Dear Deborah, Three have agreed to refund the full amount after an intervention by ComReg. However, I still have to receive the credit and it's not appearing on my last bill. I would be obliged if you could follow up on this.
Regards,
Catherine
Highlighted

3 Moderator

@CD, I'm more than happy to look into this. Can you send me a PM with your number, address and date of birth? I need these to access your account.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>