Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

4G+ on the way before end of April

Legend

4G is old news, it seems, for the mobile network Three, as it has announced that dozens of towns and cities across Ireland are to gain access to a faster 4G Plus, with the network making 4G free forever.

4G charges have been in place as a means of funding the network’s expansion of its faster mobile broadband connections across the country, but now it is looking to expand on to the next stage of mobile broadband with 4G Plus.

From now and forever, every ‘all you can eat data’ contract on the Three network will offer 4G connectivity for free in the same way that 3G is now on every mobile network.

According to Three’s own figures, its network saw a 77pc increase in data traffic last year with an increase of 19pc on this again so far this year, which adds increasing strain to the network.

With plans to invest €300m in the network, Three says that the introduction of 4G Plus would allow people with compatible phones to access speeds of up to 225Mbps on the move, with it saying parts of Dublin are already capable of receiving these speeds.

Limited to mostly flagship phones

There are still a limited number of handsets available in Ireland that have access to it, however, with it mostly being limited to the flagship phones like the iPhone 6s, Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge and HTC One M9.

It is also accessible on certain phones from Sony, Motorola and Huawei.

Dublin is the first part of the country to gain access to 4G Plus, but Three has also announced the towns which are to receive 4G Plus speeds, with plans to have it up and running in its entirety by 2017 following the beginning of a national rollout next month.

The company also recently announced it had signed a €65m investment deal with Amdocs as part of a major overhaul of its IT digital transformation strategy.

The full list of named towns are as follows:

• Dublin
  • Cork
  • Limerick
  • Galway
  • Tralee
  • Killarney
  • Ennis
  • Shannon
  • Bray
  • Greystones
  • Kilcoole
  • Arklow
  • Clonmel
  • Navan
  • Waterford
  • Dunmore East
  • Letterkenny
  • Ballina
  • Castlebar
  • Westport
  • Kilkenny
  • Athlone
  • Prosperous
  • Drogheda
  • Dundalk
  • Bettystown
  • Laytown
  • Tullamore
  • Wexford
  • Roscommon
  • Durrow
  • Sligo
  • Monaghan
  • Belturbet
  • Carlow
  • Newtownforbes

Source https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/2016/03/23/three-4g-free-4g-plus-towns-list

Chosen Solution

Re: 4G+ on the way before end of April

Legend

@TetraxSonic I dont think you will get the LTE+ as your phone doesnt have LTE Band 6 Support.

• LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20 or bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 17)* are the suported LTE bands for the ZL

Whats the exact model of the ZL?  Settings---> About phone> Model Number....

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

Legend

Basically you need a phone that supports CAT6 or above for LTE, so for example these phones support LTE +

Samsung Note 4
Samsung Galaxy Alpha
Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo
Samsung Galaxy S6
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
Sony Xperia Z5
Apple iPhone 6s
Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HTC One M9
HTC One A9
Huawei Mate S
Microsoft Lumia 950
Motorola G 3rd Gen

Bit more info here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_LTE_Advanced

Leader
I see my home town (Dungarvan) hasn't made the list, I wonder would the fact that we only have intermittent 4G have anything to do with that.

Wizard

Hi @MikeC59 we're currently rolling out 4G and 4G+ on a gradual basis. Keep an eye on our websites for updates on this. Let me know if you've any other questions on this.

Legend
Looking forward to giving the 4g+ in Athlone

Anonymous
Can't understand why three do this when some customers can't even get stable 3g, you lot need to sort out the people at the top who make these decisions, get them to look at the complaints from people on here

Wizard

Hi @Anonymous , Can I help with anything here? 

Leader
@Anonymous is right, don't give big cities better 4g until you get the rest of the country sorted for 4g. I don't get Three at all.....

Hi TetraxSonic, whereabouts are you unable to connect to 4G? I'll check it out. 

Anonymous
Same here,have never seen 4g in my location,in fact most of the time usiing three.ie own tester i am intermitently going between 2g and 3 g,to be fair full bars on 2g but only 2 to 3 bars on 3g
4g whats that says everyone in my locality,kinda like the pot of gold at end of the rainbow
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>