Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

4G Mobile Broadband directional antenna setup

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm signed up to mobile 4G broadband and I have a E3272 dongle.  I'm looking to set up an external directional antenna to improve signal strength.  For that I need to know the frequency used (800Mhz or 1800Mhz) and the mast I am currently connecting to (from the ComReg site viewer site it seems that there are 3 or so candidate masts in the area but not sure which one) so I can point it in the right direction.

My house is in the country side and the closest town is Doon on the Offaly\Westmeath border.  Seems that there are masts in Doon, Corr Hill and Rashinagh that I could be using.

How would I go about confirming which mast and frequency is being used currently?

Thx.

Re: 4G Mobile Broadband directional antenna setup

Legend

Install OpenSignal and you can see what masts your connected to and there location.

as The E3272 is only a dongle you could have to get a new router i.e the B315 and connect the antenna to that.

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll give that a go.  The 4G E3272 dongle has 2 TS9 slots for external antennae so I'd make use of those.  The dongle itself is connected to a Dovado Pro router (in the attic of my house where I see the best signal strength) which provides WiFi throughout the house.  Hoping hooking up the dongle to an external directional antenna will boost the signal further.

Legend

Sounds like a good setup, What antenna you thinking of getting?

Anonymous

Looking at something like the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIMO-Mobile-Broadband-Antenna-Aerial-Signal-Booster-Huawei-E3272-LTE-4G-3G...

Although if I can determine the exact frequency band being used (for Three it seems to be either 800 or 1800 Mhz) then I can get a similar but cheaper antenna that is designed specifically for that frequency.

Legend

you could try this

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7293818593.html?orderId=72587266520421

A friend of mine has it and internally mounted,  before on speedtest he was getting 10-20Mb/s and after its 18-20Mb/s

Anonymous

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check that one out too.

Legend

No problemo

Anonymous

Hi, was just reading your post and was wondering if you found a set up that worked? Have the same issue and was thinking about getting a 3g Antenna (or 4G if I can get a signal). What router and dongle, and provider did you use? Cheers!

Anonymous

Hey.  I went with the following external antenna mounted to the chimney stack:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIMO-Mobile-Broadband-Antenna-Aerial-Signal-Booster-Huawei-E3272-LTE-4G-3G...

This is connected to a Huawei E3272 dongle in my attic which in turn is connect to a Dovado Pro router which provides the WiFi signal throughout the house.  The addition of the external antenna to this setup resulted in higher speeds (was getting about 10-20 down and 10 up, now getting 20 - 40 down and 20 up) and a higher signal strength.  I'm on the three network.  I used the OpenSignal app mentioned earlier in this thread to figure out the location of the mast I was connecting to.

Wasn't cheap to set up and had to get someone out to install the antenna on the chimney but worth it in the end.

Most network providers provide a cooling off period so you could try a few before settling on the best one.  Even moving the setup higher in a house or even into the attic could get you the improvements you are looking for before you invest in an external antenna too.

Hope this helps,
Andre.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>