Do you mean 
Highlighted

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Android 7 update

Lookout
Link not working
Highlighted

Maestro

We don't have a launch date for the Samsung just yet. As soon as we get this we'll leave you know here.

Highlighted

The link from Three_Karen: https://bitly.com/2kXOh7M
Highlighted

Explorer

My original post was on 19th January 2017, it is now 14th February 2017 - 26 days.

Thus far, Three.ie appear to have gone out of their way to avoid answering this question with anything approaching definitive.  Or posted links to show that the Android 7 update has been rolled out to HTC 10 devices on the Three.ie network.

A couple of issues with this approach to providing "support" and requested information...

I asked about the Android 7 update for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, I don't really care if the update has been provided to HTC devices on any network.

Samsung released the Android 7 OS to service providers after they had verified that their customised OS worked.  This was last month, after a brief halt to the BTU roll out due to bugs that they discovered and fixed.

Somewhere in this thread, someone from Three stated that the OS was being tested by Samsung - Samsung have completed their testing and passed the OS to the carriers to roll out.  Any bugs or issues are therefore due to the Three "bloat-ware" that is being added by Three.ie.

Google have just released the Public Beta of Android 7.1.2; Samsung released Android 7 to BTU devices and carriers last month.  Yet my phone is currently still on Android 6.0.1, with the latest Security update being dated 1st December 2016.  Obviously this is a major update and needs to hit the ground running.  Thus far Three.ie have failed with this task.

I have been told, on a number of Chat sessions, that:

That the Android 7 update is to be provided by Samsung - this is incorrect.

That the Chat agent can help me purchase a new Samsung device running Android 7 - this is incorrect as they obviously didn't read my question.

That the Android 7 update is to be provided by Samsung - this is incorrect (still).

I would much rather someone, anyone, within Three.ie simply stated "we do not know" rather than try to placate me by making stuff up that they think I want to hear or to get me to "go away".

My contract with Three.ie has about 18 months to run and I am seriously considering switching away from Three.ie at that point as this level of customer service is completely unacceptable.

If you do not know, or cannot get the information, then SAY SO.  Do NOT lie or make things up.

I suspect that a major delay in the release of the Android 7 update for Samsung devices on the Three.ie network is due to carrier customisations that have "broken" the OS and that Three.ie do not know how to fix.

The simple solution? Don't customise the OS, release it as Samsung released it and provide optional links to the Three.ie "bloat-ware" that very few people actually want or need and cannot remove.

Highlighted

Lookout
Totally agree...we should already have this update ...have enough to be waiting. ..
Highlighted

Legend

why dont you just flash the nougat onto the phone yourself?

If your like me and always want the latest version, I always do it with my Sony phones, so theres no waiting around and no uninstallable bloatware.

Something like this https://www.sammobile.com/2017/01/18/full-android-7-0-firmware-for-the-galaxy-s7-now-available-onlin...

again this technically invalidates your warranty etc....

Highlighted

Explorer
Hi Billbond4,

I've flashed ROMs to other handsets and would consider doing so for my current S7 Edge, but it is the warranty issue that is giving more pause.

If I get no joy from Three.ie, which seems highly likely, I think I'll be in touch with Samsung regarding this as a potential option.

Cheers
Highlighted

Legend

I have to say that on here, as if there was ever an issue with the phone and samsung were repairing it, they may notice that an non-3 Ireland firmware is on the phone.

I know sony repairs dont look too much into phone firmware version, but I dont know what samsung are like. im sure a quick google will give you an answer.

Highlighted

Explorer
Cheers
Highlighted

Navigator
Yeah, nice to know about the warranty. I know a stock ROM won't trip Knox (flashed my old Note 4 a few times with no issue and no Knox trip), so the phone status remains 'Official', so I'd imagine this preserves the warranty?? Definitely if you use a custom rom then you'll void your warranty right away, but a stock Samsung Rom, even unbranded should be fine - but I'm very keen to know what you find out, if you can confirm this assumption.
Announcements

Three – Covid-19

Everyone’s coming together to battle the spread of COVID-19 and this means we have to close 3Stores for a while. Staying connected is more important than ever right now and you’ll find all the help you need on your 3Community and our new open board and Three.ie

Remember, self-serve options such as three.ie, My3 App & Web, 1913 & SMS Codes are also available to you.