Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

HTC 10 Shutting Down

Lookout

Hi,

For the last couple of weeks my HTC 10 has been shutting down and boot looping. It won't turn on unless the charger is plugged in. This started happening at about 40% charge. Then at 50% and now it is shutting down at 60%. 

I have done a Factory Reset but the problem is still there. I see on internet forums that many people have this problem. Can you help me in any way?

Thanks.

Re: HTC 10 Shutting Down

3 Moderator

Hi Paudie 👋 How long do you have your phone? You can bring your phone to any 3 store and we'll arrange to send it for repair. Take a look here 👉 https://bit.ly/2ogF2RH  👍

Legend

I would try to backup the phone and see if theres a software update that may fix your phone.

Also have you installed any new apps lately? Try uninstalling them to see if that helps

Legend

Had a look on XDA, it seems to be that the battery is faulty so backup the phone and bring it back to where you got it to get it fixed.

Lookout

I have the phone since Feb'17 so I assume that I am out of warranty. Smiley Frustrated

Lookout

Yes. I read the threads on XDA. Seems many people have the same problem 

Legend

Yip, 2 years from HTC.

http://dl4.htc.com/Web_materials/Manual/Warranty/Android/1015_A_WarrantyCard_76x126.pdf?_ga=2.743940...

You could chance going to a phone shop and asking them to change the battery for you.

Again BACKUP everything before you go.

Or maybe its time to treat yourself to a new phone....

Lookout

So I'm still in warranty if they give 2 years

Highlighted

Legend

Yip, it shouldnt cost you anything if you get it repaired through the proper channels.

i.e. drop it into a three shop or send directly to a HTC authorized phone repair company

Scout

hello,

try this

Press and hold the Power key for a few seconds, if the phone won’t turn on, then…
Press and hold the Volume Up and Power keys together for 10 seconds.
The first procedure is supposed to turn the phone on normally while the second one is to force reboot the device in case the system crashed. These alone may bring your phone back to life provided that the problem was caused by some minor app or firmware glitches that may have left the device unresponsive.

However, if your HTC 10 still won’t turn on after doing those procedures, then try to see if it can power up and load its bootloader. Follow these steps…

If the phone is still on, turn it off.
Press and hold the Volume Down button.
Press and hold the Power key and when the phone vibrates, release it. (NOTE: If the phone won’t vibrate, then it may not be able to load its bootloader but keep trying.)
Continue holding the Volume Down button.
When a black screen with red and blue line of texts appears, release the Volume Down key.
Press the Volume Down button to highlight the option “reboot to bootloader” and press the Power key to confirm it.
When the white screen with colored texts appears, press the Volume Down button to highlight the option “BOOT TO RECOVERY MODE” and press the Power key to select it.
The screen will display the white HTC screen and will turn black. A few moments later, another black screen with red and blue texts will appear.
If you phone can boot in recovery mode, then you can fix the problem on your own without any help from a technician because apparently, the problem has already been addressed at this point–the device already turned on!

You can reboot it normally to see if load up Android’s interface and let you use it. If it still won’t boot up, then try to boot back in recovery mode by following the same steps above and this time, try wiping the cache partition and/or doing the factory reset.

Step 2: Plug the charger in to see if your phone responds to it

Normally, if the HTC 10 detects current is flowing through its circuits, it will display the charging indicator on the screen and lights up the LED indicator (solid orange light). When they show, you can rest assured that your phone’s hardware is fine and that the problem might be with the firmware. But if they don’t, there’s a possibility the device is suffering from a hardware issue, although you still have to rule out the possibility that the system just crashed and that there wasn’t enough battery to power up its components. And for this, all you got to do is press and hold the Volume Up and Power keys together for 10 seconds while the phone is plugged in.

If your HTC 10 reboots, then it was simply a system crash. Let the phone charge until it’s full and when the same problem happens a few times after this one, then it’s an indication that some files may have been corrupted.

Try to find out if there’s an available update and if there is download it and do the master reset. If there’s none, then it’s still advisable to do the reset but don’t forget to backup all your data first.

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>