Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Android to block Huawei

Maestro
@St3v3 but that's down to your work place and their choice. I think everyone is panicking for nothing at all. It'll blow over and either way from my understanding security updates will be provided as will OS updates.
I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Posted From Generic Android 2.0

Explorer

Unfortunately not, it's not a choice but a forced implementation due to the pending vulnerability of Huawei software.

Security updates will be available/provided for the next 90 days  during the amnesty period. OS updates will not be provided as the next update will be post the 90 day period, Huawei will not be eligible to implement this update.

In relation to everyone is panicking for nothing, I don't agree. I didn't pay €779 for something that could be outdated in 90 days, where as my old OnePlus 6 would still be eligible for updates and hence a better option than a paper weight P30 Pro!

Scout

I find Three's reaction a bit naive, although understandable because it's not 100% sure this will stay in place. 

This is not looking like it will blow over however, there are a lot of big manufacturers that are dropping Huawei left, right and center. Today it's Panasonic, the last few days it was the likes of Intel, ARM (a UK-based chip designer), Microsoft (no official statement but they have pulled Huawei laptops from their online store),...

Three should in my opinion start looking at a contingency plan because just hoping it will blow over won't do the trick I expect. 

Explorer

So apparently Huawei won't even has legal access AOSP, below from XDA.

It is important to remember that open source licenses work within our current copyright framework. They utilize the design of our copyright framework to give almost everyone the right to make copies of the source code, as long as you follow the terms of the licensing agreement. Since they operate within our copyright framework, they break down when the copyright framework breaks down. A country banning its resident companies from engaging in contracts with a specific company breaks how our copyright system works, and as a result, breaks how open source licenses work.

Legend
I think huawei will come out with their own android os next year and use aptoide as the play store for it.
And migrate the older phones to that android os.
Id say they have had plans in place after they got restricted from the 5g networks around the world

ks Re: Android to block Huawei

Legend

Re: ks Re: Android to block Huawei

This new OS isn't going to fix anything though. 

Once google play services is removed it will kill practically all push notifications from your apps, including non google apps, as most apps use googles GCM/FCM service to deliver push notifications. The only apps that might work are apps that are built to work in China.  

Lookout
I agree. Keith is right and I said as much two weeks ago. Three are going to sit on their hands and do nothing while their customers have to put with inferior devices. Saying that Huawei is going to release their own OS is fine and all, but I paid for an Android phone, with all that that entails.. ie Google. My car runs Android Auto, I use Gmail, Goole Play Music on so on. If I've only got a pretty brick and there's no help on the horizon from Three, then I'd have to at least consider a move of operator and start again.
Posted From Huawei EML-L09

Maestro
Again this is not something network operators can do anything about or intervene. It hasn't happened yet so just wait and deal with it then. All you're doing is talking what ifs and it doesn't do any good.
I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>