Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Android to block Huawei

This is going to affect existing customers. Google release monthly security updates that Huawei are now no longer privy to. People who have remote device management installed for work may be cut off from using their phone for their work email and other services.

Worst case scenario a really bad exploit could be patched by Google, leaving 3 customers vulnerable to attacks until Huawei gets their own patch out in time. 

Saying this won't affect existing customers is at best ignorant but at worst disingenuous. I'm really concerned as a customer that the contract i'm not long into will effectively be a waste of money. 

Scout
I'm due an upgrade, and was really looking forward to getting another Huawei, it looks like back to Samsung unless this all gets sorted soon.
Posted From Generic Android 2.0
Highlighted

3 Community Manager

@keiththompson  At this time we don't have any further information and are awaiting clarification from Huawei directly. I joined in on this thread in order to advise everyone that we are aware and we will provide an update as soon as we have it. The information we have is that for now, this does not affect existing customers with Huawei devices.  

Thanks'

Maestro
I think it's fair to say that this is not down to Three or Vodafone bill payment receipt Eir or any other provider, we all know whos responsible and nobody really knows the full implications either. Three can only comment on implacations with the actual phone and not whether it will cause problems with anything else. We all have to wait and see.
I am not a Three employee. I'm just a little helper Smiley Happy

Explorer

Indeed it is not directly caused by Three, Eir, Vodafone etc however as providers of the devices they are who we must contact/deal with to get a resolution.

Amazon are offering full refunds for devices purchased within the last 12 months, that says it all really.

As I only purchased my P30 Pro on 1st May I'd like to return this as soon as possible and move away from all this hastle.

As mentioned already I've been told my phone will no longer be allowed access my work network, so this is already affecting me.

3 Community Manager
Hi all, Huawei have now confirmed that they will continue to provide updates & after-sales services to all existing Huawei products along with those that are still in stock globally. The updates include security, google apps & non-google apps.

Explorer

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the update, however this is not a permanent solution, they have been given a 90 day grace period after which the ban will be enforced.

My place of work are still not going to allow Huawei access as the lifting of the ban is only temporary at which point we will be back at square one.

I for one don't want this issue hanging over my 3 week old purchase.

I am still looking to return my phone and hope Three offer this option as Amazon and Argos have now done.

Stephen

3 Community Manager

@St3v3 

This 90-day grace period does not affect existing devices. Huawei will continue to provide updates & after-sales services to all existing Huawei products. 

Explorer

This is not entirely true, they will push certain updates, AOSP only, no Google signed updates and NO phones will be eligable to upgrade to Android 10 when available.

Any new updates would result in the removal of Google Play Services and Google apps from the existing devices.

Of course Huawei are going to say they will continue to update etc, what else do you expect them to say?

I'm going to have to pursue this in other ways if Three are not willing to support their customers.

Explorer

I have now reached out to ComReg and a solicitor in relation to this. 

If Huawei is forced to use the open source version of Android, AOSP, for updates this comes stripped of Google Mobile Services, a suite for Google services such as Google Play Store, Gmail, and YouTube. 

So either they go that route and we lose all the above, they don't update, causing security concerns or they implement their own OS. None of these options are suitable for me.

I purchased this phone expecting at least 2 years of updated and piece of mind, this in a requirement of Google for all manufactures that use Android. This is now no longer a guarantee.

Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>