Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Android to block Huawei

Navigator
So, a month in with a new Huawei P20 and there is the prospect of having no updates for the rest of my 2 year contract. Are Huawei users going to be left paying for a brick?
Posted From Huawei CLT-L09

Re: Android to block Huawei

Explorer

It is not a possibility its reality. No future updates for these phones unless Trump reconsiders and that is not going to happen.

I'm 2 week with the P30 pro, while it's a good phone it's now going to be blocked from my work network as they say it will cause a security risk due to lack of security patches etc.

Where do we stand with this news? I've to revert to my OnePlus 6 from this week to continue accessing my work network. In other words, I've an expensive P30 Pro ornament.

Navigator
The news reported that current phones will still have access to Gmail and the play store but there is no information about OS upgrades.
It would be nice of service providers to give us some information.
Highlighted

Explorer

No access to OS updates or security patches.

There will eventually be updates via AOSP, but these could be too late. Problem is rolling out any new fw to certified devices without going through Google results in broken SafetyNet, which means no Google Pay etc as the licence is invalid.

Navigator
So the phones are going to be useless.

[ Edited ]
3 Community Manager

@drakshug @St3v3  

We are aware of the recent news from Google in relation to Huawei devices. For now, this does not affect existing customers with Huawei devices. We are waiting for further information and details from Huawei and as soon as I have this, I'll be back in touch. 

Explorer

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the update, unfortunately for me it has had an impact. My place of work has stated that they will be blocking Huawei devices from accessing email, WiFi etc due to this news. 

While I can still use it personally and apps etc will update, I will not be getting any security patches, OS updates as these are releases and signed by Google, so no longer available to Huawei.

My concern is that my new €800 phone is now possibly already outdated and my year old OnePlus 6 is actually a better option. 

I understand that this is only breaking news and still a lot of uncertainty but I'm sure you can appreciate my/our concerns with the impact or potential impact to our new devices.

Navigator
Thanks for coming back to us. I am also concerned about security updates and Google pay etc. I appreciate it is early days but hope we will be informed as soon as any developments occur.

Legend

Spotted this on Engadget

Update 5/19 5:15PM ET: Engadget understands that the report is accurate, although there will be a slight reprieve. Updates for Play Services and apps will still go through, as they don't require that Google interacts with Huawei. OS and security updates, however, are strictly off-limits.

Navigator
Basically the phones are pretty worthless now.
Announcements

Hi and Welcome to the 3Community. Stay awhile and have a look around. If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so.

Click here to see a guide on getting started.

Register now >>