Re: Outgoing web mail server issue with iPhone 7 plus

Staff

Hey guys, can ye send on your details privately and I can look into this for ye? I'll need your number, address and DOB please? Karen

Explorer
Sent already to Brogan on 23/3. No reply to date.
Posted From Apple iPhone

Explorer
Sent but I also sent my number to Bob on 22/3. Still not rectified. Beyond a joke at this stage. It's obviously an issue for a number of people so it would appear the problem is at your end, not the settings on our phones. Why the hell isn't this getting sorted?
Posted From Apple iPhone

Hi @DJK29 I can see we got back to you for further info let me know if you got this? 

@SusanC I can see we also got back to your PM. 

Explorer
Perhaps that's another issue you could push up the line. When a new item appears on a thread that you have been involved in, you receive an email advising you of the new addition. You can either read the email contents or click on the link which brings you to the thread.

When you receive a PM from a moderator, you receive zero notification by way of email about this. The PM sits there until you happen across it. Surely the advisory functionality should remain static all the way through the process? Silly stuff. Anyway, I've replied to the PM.
Posted From Apple iPhone

Thanks DJK29, I'll certainly forward this feedback 👍

Community Manager

DJK29 wrote:
Perhaps that's another issue you could push up the line. When a new item appears on a thread that you have been involved in, you receive an email advising you of the new addition. You can either read the email contents or click on the link which brings you to the thread.

When you receive a PM from a moderator, you receive zero notification by way of email about this. The PM sits there until you happen across it. Surely the advisory functionality should remain static all the way through the process? Silly stuff. Anyway, I've replied to the PM.

That's odd @DJK29 as you should get an email for every private message. I checked your settings and you are set up to. 

Anyone else reading this that also has not received an email when a PM has been sent to them? 

Highlighted

Explorer
Sheena, just checked back and I don't appear to have an email for the initial response from Brogan dated 23/3 BUT I def do have one for his reply today at 12:12. There's a possibility that the initial one went awol so can't confirm 100% that it didn't hit my inbox. Benefit of doubt given.
Posted From Apple iPhone

Legend

Nope, i get email notification when I receive a PM from the Mods or NonMods.

You might have setup weekly notification of PMs?

Community Manager

DJK29 wrote:
Sheena, just checked back and I don't appear to have an email for the initial response from Brogan dated 23/3 BUT I def do have one for his reply today at 12:12. There's a possibility that the initial one went awol so can't confirm 100% that it didn't hit my inbox. Benefit of doubt given.

Cool, thanks @DJK29, if you do run into this issue again, or anyone else reading this, give a shout and I'd be happy to look into it.

Also, @Three_Brogan is a she Smiley Wink 

Explorer
@Three_Sheena I have received DMs but haven't responded to last one yet, but why do you need individual details? This issue doesn't appear to be specific to an individual but a general thing. If I send these details through can you confirm it will be resolved? Over 2 weeks now. Also how do I attach a screenshot to a DM? Don't see an option for it?
Posted From Apple iPhone

Community Manager

SusanC wrote:
@Three_Sheena I have received DMs but haven't responded to last one yet, but why do you need individual details? This issue doesn't appear to be specific to an individual but a general thing. If I send these details through can you confirm it will be resolved? Over 2 weeks now. Also how do I attach a screenshot to a DM? Don't see an option for it?

Hi @SusanC, the issue I was chatting to @DJK29 about above was that they weren't getting an email when they received a PM from the mods here. So it wasn't about the original issue reported on this thread.

My understanding of this email issue is that you can try the 3Internet APN on your phone and that will work for some people. If it doesn't, drop the Mods here a PM and they'll get in touch with the Tech team on your behalf.

Explorer
@Sheena. Firstly apples my my citing Brogan as a 'he' as opposed to a 'she'. Unusual name.

Secondly, suggest ModFiona pass on those deleted comments to the guards. She's only doing her job. No need for that aggression.

Thirdly, there is a rumour going around that the reason for the email issue lies with the possibilty that Three have failed to renew their Smtp Licence. Whilst this is just here say at the moment, I would like to formally request that Three comment on this now. I have already cancelled my bill pay contract and have had to switch to 30 day sim only. If the rumour is true and Three are misleading their customers on this, it is a serious breach of trust as well as contract and the company may face a mutiny of cancellations. Over to you.
Posted From Apple iPhone

What was the solution to this issue? This has been going on for weeks now and still no published solution. Mail-relay.3ireland not responding
Posted From Apple iPhone

Explorer
@GerryCarty2017 No solution Gerry, going on weeks. Keep getting asked to DM details etc when it seems pretty obvious that this is an issue with the mail-relay.3ireland/smtp and no amount of DMs from any of us is going to change that, in my humble opinion that's just a delaying mechanism. I moved to a 30 day SIM only from bill pay about 2 weeks ago, and may be moving completely very soon. See also @DJK29 above. Will shortly be contacting Comreg about this issue.

Lookout

This is what I received from 3 for the same issue with my Galaxy S7 Edge and it worked.

The APN needs to be changed to 3Internet

Here's how to change the APN

Go to Settings.

Tap Mobile Networks.

Tap Access Point Names.

Tap More and tap Reset to Default. ...

Tap Add (or tap the existing APN called Data)

Tap More and tap Save.

If there are other APNs saved, you will need to tap the APN you create so set it as default.

Community Manager

The issue is a configuration issue, and it is solved for most people by using the 3Internet APN as @Marlton describes above. If this doesn't work for you, then that means we need to provision the APN on your account which is why we need your details.

Nothing underhanded here guys, we're doing our best to get the issue fixed for everyone as soon as we can, but by trying the 3Internet APN and sending us a PM with your details if that doesn't work, we'll be able to help each of you out in the meantime.

The Mods will continue to keep this thread up to date when we have new info.

Solution
Accepted by topic author DJK29
‎28-03-2017 10:42 AM
Explorer

OK folks, finally got somewhere thanks to @Marlton & @Sheena. By the sounds of the 'fix', it appears that Three must have made changes at their end to cause this issue because the default setting for the APN is 3ireland.ie and not 3internet. Newly upgraded phones as well as 2 year old phones were both experiencing this issue and the users would not have gone in and made the change themselves.

@Three 'Communication is a wonderful thing'. Wonder how quickly you would be on to me if I made a 'subtle' change to my direct debit and money was not sending? Very poor service in my opinion. 4 weeks plus is not an acceptable turn around time for issues like this.

Anyway, iphone users, I am using an iphone 7 plus and here are the settings applicable to the iphone as opposed to @Marltons settings for his handset.

Go Settings/ Mobile Data/ Mobile Data Options/ Mobile Data Network

There are 3 sections - Mobile Data, MMS & Personal Hotspot. YOU ARE ONLY TO CHANGE THE MOBILE DATA SETTING!!!

The current setting for the APN in Mobile Data section is 3ireland.ie. Change this to 3internet

As there is no 'Save' button in this section, simply press the back (<) button.

I had an email in the Outbox which could not be sent and once this change was applied, off it went.

Can I also urge users to keep in mind that the online Mods are trying to assist you. Yes in this case, the service was poor but they were trying. One user yesterday, posted extremely aggressive and disgusting comments towards 3's staff. This is totally unacceptable. They don't deserve that type of abuse and I hope the offender is banned from 3's network henceforth. You wouldn't take that abuse in your own line of work so why should they.

Regards to all with the fix.

Thank you that worked immediately
Posted From Apple iPhone

Glad to hear you got sorted @GerryCarty2017 Smiley Happy Be sure to pop back to us here if you ever need anything else. 

Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Top Liked Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Liked Posts
Hot Topics
How to turn off the Adult Content Filter
World Photo Day Competition 📱