Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Texts not arriving from 1 person - Three ever block them?

Guide

Just to help us diagnose the problem (if you don't block any texts, we can just eliminate Three from our enquiries, so to speak!).

In case it helps, in my phone (Moto G 3rd gen 2015) I have a text conversation with my daughter (who's in England) that started 6 months ago.  Since about Christmas, none of her replies to me have got through (though they appear to send).  I can still text her, and she can still ring me from the same mobile she texts from.  I get texts from other senders ok.

(I've already checked my phone settings for anywhere I could have unintentionally blocked any texts, and found none).

Chosen Solution

Re: Texts not arriving from 1 person - Three ever block them

Solution
Accepted by topic author Chrysanth
‎10-04-2017 09:20 AM
3 Moderator

I've sent you a PM about this Chrysanth. It sounds like this could be possibly a routing issue that I'd like our tech team to check out further for you. If you can get back to me by PM, I'll raise this with our tech team to investigate this. 

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

3 Moderator

Hey there 👋 When you text your daughter, does she receive the texts? Can you send on a private message with your details and I'll look further into this? Mairéad 

Guide
Yes, like I said I can text her. (Everything's working normally except that her texts aren't reaching me.

PM sent - thanks.

Guide
Any news yet? Anyone out there know the answer?
It's just the first step in solving our problem, which is getting fairly urgent
In case it helps speed things up, the UK number in question starts with 079 41 (though might have been ported from another network). Don't have any other contacts with that prefix (or would have tested it).

3 Moderator

Have you tried using the international prefix for the UK? It's 0044 or +44 and drop the 0 at the beginning of the number. 

[ Edited ]
Guide

Her number in my phone does include the UK international prefix (before the (0)79 network prefix), and I do know what it is. And can still text her via it. What could that have to do with the problem?

If you meant 'Is she using the international prefix for Ireland', yes she is, as she always has, and she's checked multiple times if her phone still has my number right (and can still ring me through that same number).  That's why I'm trying to find out if it's a network issue.  (I don't think she has any problem texting anyone else).

What's the news on looking into it since I sent the PM with my details?

And doesn't anyone at Three know if Three ever blocks texts from being received?

Guide
No, Three Notifications, I didn't get the answer I needed yet.
Posted From Motorola MotoG3

Legend
Get her to create a new text message and manually type in your full international phone number and see if that works.
Does she have an iPhone?

Posted From Android 2.0

3 Staff

@Chrysanth did the above solution work? 

Guide
No, it was the first thing she tried.
I've tested it with another UK person - same problem. Their phones always say the reply's been sent ok.

Daughter's phone is Samsung GT-19100, and she's on Virgin, which is over the EE network apparently. The other person in the UK has an iPhone SE, and is also on EE. I'll try someone on another network when I have time. Meanwhile, I've asked someone in Canada for a number to try with, to see if it's just the UK (or international texting generally).

The last text I've received from anyone outside ROI was from my daughter on December 26th (though she may be the only one who's tried). The first failed reply that I know of was to a text on January 6th, so looks like some mysterious thing happened in the week or so between those dates.

I've heard of people being unable to text internationally between carriers that don't have a roaming agreement, & wondered if Three made any changes to those at the end of last year/start of this one. But I don't know if that can cause a one-way problem?

Guide
Forgot to say this is all with SMS messages (can't do mobile data in my location).

3 Staff

Can you let me know if your friend in Canada has been able to text you and we can then take it from there for you @Chrysanth?

Guide
Yes, will let you know (waiting for them to reply to my request for their mobile no. to try).

3 Staff

Scout

If you can hook up to wifi . . . try the mobile app Viber for texts (free if parties are on wifi or within their mobile phone areas)

Guide
Thanks for the tip, Thunder. But would that help to diagnose the problem?

3 Staff

Hi @Chrysanth just checking in to see if your friend in canada was able to text you?

[ Edited ]
Guide

First (to any Mod); this is NOT resolved (driving me even more bananas, if anything)! I don’t know how one of my postings got marked as Best Answer, but could someone please untick the topic for me? The ‘Not the solution’ option doesn’t work for me (and I was signed in). Thanks!

Bob; I hadn’t forgotten - it just took a while to get the Canadian mobile number to text to, and then it seemed quite fiddly for them to proceed (maybe because, as I’ve gathered from the web, texting isn’t so common in North America). I don’t know what network they’re on (& that may be a bit convoluted), but I did finally receive a text from them last night.

So to sum up, 4 results so far (the UK people all being long-time text contacts of mine);

1; UK, Virgin phone, over EE network. Samsung GT-18100; can’t text me.
2; UK, EE network. IPhone 5E, can’t text me.
3; UK, Vodafone, another oldish Samsung, can text me.
4; Canada, iPhone, can text me.
There may be other UK people I can no longer receive texts from - these are just the ones I happen to know about so far.

And the short story;
Something happened between December 26th last and January 6th (so possibly something scheduled for the start of 2017?), that means some UK people can no longer text me (even as replies to my texts). Their phones send the texts successfully, as they always have.  I can still text them, and voice calls seem to be working (though maybe they're a different kettle of fish).
My husband can no longer receive texts from our daughter or the others either. (He's also with Three, same location, different phone). This is all with SMS (MMS not possible in my area).

It can’t be my phone settings. There are no blocking/spam ones in my phone (Moto g 2015 3rd gen, Android 6), and it’s documented as not having any (I’d have had to ask Three to block my favourite phone contacts for me). Husband has a very simple phone (Doro, unknown OS), with few settings of any kind (let alone call blocking).

It can’t be the UK phone settings either (they haven’t changed any, and have double-checked that). (And any changes would have had to coincide with the same period of 10 days max).

I understand from web searches that international SMS needs an agreement between the 2 networks (one source said it’s an ‘Inter network’ agreement, as opposed to a roaming one). So maybe it’s down to the simple question; do Three Ireland and EE have such an agreement? (And if not, did they have one until about 3 months ago?)

Meanwhile, anyone else having this problem? And is it with EE?

Another meanwhile - any news yet following that PM I sent a week ago with the account details?

3 Moderator

Hi Chrysanth, I'll get back to your PM about this. 

Guide
Thanks Brogan. (It was to Mairead).
Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Top Liked Authors
Hot Topics
How to turn off the Adult Content Filter