When is 4G not really 4G

Pathfinder

My family and I have multiple mobile devices, all on the Three network.

On all of them the network shows as "3" and the mobile data as "4G".

Upload speeds are over 15Mbps which is fine.

Dowload speeds are between 1 and 3 Mbps which is rubbish.

As this occurs on many devices such as Android and Windows phones, this is not a device related issue.

The network has a problem.

I've tried Three web-chat service but the internet is so slow and flaky the chat sessions keep getting terminated.

As far as I got with Chat, I've been told that the Three network isn't really 4G as it is only on trial and that they won't register a fault for slow speeds unless they drop below 300kbps.  Obviously such statements are complete nonsense when Three advertise their network as 4G.

As for "All you can eat data", it's pointless with a network that doesn't even allow websites to function correctly becuase the speeds are so slow.

Before I move my entire family of 7 devices over to another network, I'd like someone from Three to confirm they will not or are unable to do anything about this issue.

Re: When is 4G not really 4G

3 Moderator

Hi there, I can look into this for you. Can you send me on your full address so I can take a better look into this for you? Are other customers in the area experiencing this too? What kind of speeds are you getting on 3G? 

Pathfinder

I've sent you my address as a private message.

My family and I are located in an area with good coverage and the issue is happening on multiple devices and operating systems in this area so this is not a device related issue.

The data rate for 4G is above 10Mbps while 3G averages 1Mbps.  In the evenings especially, Three mobile internet in the area of my home rarely rises above 2Mbps.  Ironically, in the centre of towns like Carrick on Shannon or Sligo, the internet speeds are worse.

This is therefore a network related issue that affects download speeds only and occurs primiarily, but not exclusively, in the evenings.  This suggests that it is a network issue that is possibly a consequence of the way the network is configured to manage bandwidth against demand.  Which is fine, but then for Three to claim it provides a 4G network with data rates that are at 3G levels is simply disingenuous.

3 Moderator

We've gotten back to your PM 👍

Explorer

Screenshot_20170809-133054.pngScreenshot_20170808-221226.pngScreenshot_20170808-220049.pngFitzhave square Noa H9.jpgFitzhaven square 22-23.pngFitzhaven square 2200.png

Can someone do anything about this? I was at the several places in Limerick this morning testing speed, and I've gotten 4g between 20 and 40 Mbps. At home, I have speeds as shown. Me and my entire family. If this can't be solved I will change the network.

Pathfinder

I didn't realise I could attach images to these posts.

Here's the test I did earlier this evening, showing the situation is getting worse.

Capture 1.JPG

Pathfinder

and again...

Capture 2.JPG

3 Moderator

Hi Bajdo 👋 I can look into this for you. Can you Pm me your full address so I can look into this for you? Is this happening inside and outside your home and do you know if others in the area are also experiencing this? 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Pathfinder

Any movement on this?

Explorer

Screenshot_20170812-152642.pngScreenshot_20170813-222632.pngScreenshot_20170814-140210.png

As you can see, the problem is the same. 42 Mbps was measured on Sarsfield road, Limerick city centre. So it is not about the SIM card. 

You have offered me new SIM card. I took it and tried to activate. Here's the message I received: "

Hi there,

Thank you for Your SIM Activation request. Your reference number is: 04357196 

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your SIM Activation request as the information you provided us with does not match what we have in our system."

What is next?

3 Moderator

Hi there 👋 When you fill the details on the SIM change, they'll have to match those you provided for your My3 account. Could you send me on the full SIM number in a PM, it'll begin with 89353 👍

Explorer
With the new SIM card activated speed is somewhere between 700 kbps and 6 Mbps. What is your next brilliant plan?
Posted From Android 2.0

Pathfinder

I tested the speeds on my phone in the local town of Carrick on Shannon and there too, the DL data rate was less than 2Mbps and the UL data rate was >15Mbps.  So it appears this issue is not just happening around my home village of Keshcarrigan.  Have there been any changes to the network configuration in this area over the past few weeks?

Pathfinder

I've just asked my Son who is on Three and lives in Sligo to test his intenet speed and he tells me they have been experienceing the same issue for a couple of weeks now, with DL data rates of <2Mbps.  So this is definitely a whole network related issue and not unique to a specific area or device.

Explorer
Of course it's the network related problem. But still I can see them asking to bring my phone for testing. In advance, I'm not going to bring my phone. Find another solution. I want 25 Mbps which I had in my house all May and June long!
Posted From Android 2.0

Pathfinder

I was in the centre of Sligo earlier today and ran a speedtest at around 17:30.

I obtained a DL data rate of 3.47Mbps and an UL data rate of 12.71Mbps.

Again the DL data rate is practically far too slow to be considered 4G.

Are Three doing anything about this?

3 Moderator

@PythonesqueSpam, can you send me a PM with your number, name, address and date of birth, please? I'll take a closer look into this. 

Explorer

These photos are my favourite so far. The same spot in the house different time of the day.

Screenshot_20170814-205724.pngScreenshot_20170815-065010.png

3 Moderator

Hi Bajdo, what time were these screenshots taken at? Is this happening in a specific area or at a specific time of the day? 

Explorer
Hello. There are times on the screen shots. So, better speed in the morning. During June avg speed was 25 Mbps. What has happend since then i really don't know. Obviously something has happened within the network. I just want to know will you repair solve the problem or not.
Posted From Android 2.0
Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Top Liked Authors
Hot Topics
How to turn off the Adult Content Filter