Prepay
If you want to know what you can get on Three Prepay or have a query relating to top ups, then pop in and chat to the Community.

Questions re 28 day automatic prepay topup

Guide

1.  I gather that when topping up manually, some people are caught out by a confusion about the exact day/time of day by which to do it.  Does setting up the automatic topups guarantee that it's done at the right time to ensure continuity?  (Of all you can eat data, as an example).

2.  When setting up an automatic topup schedule, why do we need a computer in order to see the 28-day option?  (I do have one as happens, but it's out of order, and arranging to use a friend's computer involves fiddly logistics and a longish round trip).  I can do online banking, shopping etc from my phone, and can apparently set up Three's other automatic topup options.  Is there some particular technical difficulty to adding the 28 day one?

Re: Questions re 28 day automatic prepay topup

3 Moderator

Hi Chrysanth,

Take a look at our Prepay AYCE data blog here to answer your questions http://bit.ly/2wPhhBr 

Guide

Thanks Joolz, but the link you gave didn't answer either of my questions (that page seems to be just a general intro to the €20 a month prepay plan).

3 Moderator

Th automatic top up doesn't apply when the plan expires. It applies after the plan has expired. In terms of adding the scheduled top up as the plan is now 28 days the top up should be scheduled for the same. 

Guide

I'm a bit confused - does that mean if I set up Three's automatic topup arrangement, the 28 day option will leave a gap between each 28-day period and the next one?

Navigator
4g has not been working properly ever since I have moved in south circular road dublin 8, When I get home it does not work the way it works when I am out. Kindly sort this out !
Posted From Android 2.0

Navigator
4g stops working all of a sudden and I have to restart my galaxy s7 several times then it gets back to normal ! Before this I was living in lower clanbrassil street I never had any problem with the 4g coverage whether I am out of my home or not !
Posted From Android 2.0

3 Moderator

This would depend on how many days are in a month. If you have it set for the same day each month your plan could expire before this top up. 

Navigator

Yo, just spotted this post and I'll add my 2 cents. Three will NEVER EVER implement such a automated systems, WHY, cause they are making a heap of cash when you forget to topup on time and your Youtube addiction eats all your credit. lol Man Tongue 

One  question, can I ask the support team, is there a number you can dial that returns a text message gives you a date when my current prepay plan ends after 28 days. Zombies I see zombies. Or is it possible to request a added feature to the text message returned when you dial 1743 where it tells you how much credit you have left on your phone.

I know Meteor (now Eir) had a service where you dial a 4 digit number and you get a text message back, handy little speedial on the older nokia's oe push button phones.

TIP -  to keep my top ups on time, is to just ring 1744, wait till Mrs Three tells you how much credit you have and when she finished, just dial 3 button again, wait for her to repeat an extended credit summary report. At the end of that report Mrs Three will tell you the date when your prepay 28 days plan ends. And finally put a few reminder into your phone/smartphoen calander close to midnight of the date given and topup as you usually do (online or over the phone)....or simply switch off the 3G data mode in your phone if you know how.

PS - dont be asking me how to switch off the data mode in yer phones.

Guide

Martin, Your answer implies that you are not aware that Three now have a 28 day automatic top-up option.

my3account > Topping_up > Regular_top_up > Add 28 day top up

Highlighted

Guide

Thanks Martin, but from reading some threads about topping up dates, I got the idea that with Three's system for automatic topups using a card, there was a 28-day option (in addition to the one that does it on the same day in each month, which sometimes wrong-foots people in 31-day months).  Did I get the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks for the info, WhatDaFec.  Did I get the wrong end of another stick re an auto topups system (using a credit/debit card)?  Maybe that system does exist, but not for prepay?

I have data off in my phone by default, as my signal at home isn't up to it and I use wifi there.  But it's nice to know it's there if I need it when out and about, and I'd like to know I can turn it on without being outside my allowance.  So yes, if I can't set up an automatic topup thing with Prepay (and suitable for the €20 28-day system), I will set up some reminder thing in my phone.

Guide

Cwn - just missed your post.  Thanks for the pointer (don't think I'd found that.  Is it possible with Prepay?

Navigator
@cwn Yes you quite correct, I did not know that they had that 28-day scheduled auto top-up option set up for Prepay users with debit/credit card details registered with Three. It was there a couple of weeks ago when I last checked it out. But it is not great if you really break it down.

Cons:
- To be honest it's a very user interfaced limited automation.
- Awkward as in, you have to log to your MyThree account every 27/28 days and set it up the automation.
- You need to register a credit/debit card with Three for the recurring automated payment.
- Prone to error as the user has to make sure that the date entered is the day of expiry.
- If you top on the day of expiry you lose a day of your 28 Prepay plan, as the automation states it does the Topup around midday so you lose a half day from your previous month and half a day from the next month. That's fine if you want to do that but your paying for 27days.
- If you schedule the top for the day after expiry, your more than likely going to eat into your credit if you're not disciplined by using your "All You Can Eat" data plan heavily or making a sh1t load of calls or texts the next day.

Pros
+ It's a helpful bit automated option for the computer savvy prepayer.

This is only my opinion. The banks need to take charge and come up with an online option to do a 28day/30day top up for all mobile companies selling prepay tops, not just Three. So maybe that's what I'll do tomorrow Smiley Wink

Navigator

@cwn Yes you quite correct, I did not know that they had that  28-day scheduled auto top-up option set up for Prepay users with debit/credit card details registered with Three. It was there a couple of weeks ago when I last checked it out. But it is not great if you really break it down.

Cons:
- To be honest it's a very user interfaced limited automation.
- Awkward as in, you have to log to your MyThree account every 27/28 days and set it up the automation.
- You need to register a credit/debit card with Three for the recurring automated payment.
- Prone to error as the user has to make sure that the date entered is the day of expiry.
- If you top on the day of expiry you lose a day of your 28 Prepay plan, as the automation states it does the Topup around midday so you lose a half day from your previous month and half a day from the next month. That's fine if you want to do that but your paying for 27days.
- If you schedule the top for the day after expiry, your more than likely going to eat into your credit if you're not disciplined by using your "All You Can Eat" data plan heavily or making a sh1t load of calls or texts the next day.

Pros
+ It's a helpful bit automated option for the computer savvy prepayer.

This is only my opinion. The banks need to take charge and come up with an online option to do a 28day/30day top up for all mobile companies selling prepay tops, not just Three. So maybe that's what I'll do tomorrow Smiley Wink

Navigator

@Chrysanthcheck your bank, they may have an online option to do an automated 28-day top-up, it's highly unlikely but online technological wonders continue to amaze me.

I use AIB's bank smartphone app (iOS /Apple) shortcut to do an immediate top-up to my number but with a reminder in my phone close to midnight of the expiry date (28th day) topping up at 00:01 (day 29) to get the full 28 days and thus holding on to my credit for much needed weekly non-three mobile/landline calls.

Mental note, I must really get onto AIB bank to get them to do setup 28 day recurring top ups, they're so close to doing it, a bit of pressure maybe.

[ Edited ]
Guide

Martin; did you mean that also applies to the 28 day option (i.e. that it sometimes leaves it for 29 days instead of 27/28?)

WhatDaFec; thank you for taking the trouble to give such detailed info.

An 'automated' system that we have to log into every 27-28 days to set up again sounds crazy!  It would be like opting for monthly direct debits for my car insurance, then having to log in somewhere and confirm it on the right day each month, or risk driving uninsured.  (And in my case (If the threads I've read are correct), having to find a computer with a non public internet connection every month, if it can be done from someone else's computer, that is).

I'm with Ulster Bank.  While waiting for Three to answer the questions actually asked, I'll check if it"s possible to set it up from that end.

3 Moderator

@Chrysanth, if you don't top up after 28 days, your plan will expire. For instance if you top up on day 29 or 30, you'll be spending your credit after day 28 until you top up again to activate the plan for another 28 days 👍 

[ Edited ]
Guide

Three_Mairead wrote:

@Chrysanth, if you don't top up after 28 days, your plan will expire. For instance if you top up on day 29 or 30, you'll be spending your credit after day 28 until you top up again to activate the plan for another 28 days 👍 

Thanks, but I knew that already - what I wanted to know was what I asked about in the first posting above, and the title.

Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hot Topics
How to turn off the Adult Content Filter