Accepted Solution

New 20euro phone sim in dongle, possible?

I was in a 3 Store today and the assistant couldn't/wouldn't tell me if I get a new pay as you go sim with the 20 euro top up that it would work in a dongle!

He said I had to buy it and see... and if it didn't work he could not refund my money!!wtf.

I currently have a 3 data sim in an unlocked dongle and it seems to be working OK.  Obviously the new sim deal is much better unlimited data for 30 days!( until October anyway..)

Could you please give me a definitive answer if a new sim will work in a dongle (which is working with the old 3 data sim)

Thanks!

Chosen Solution

Re: New 20euro phone sim in dongle, possible?

Solution
Accepted by topic author bobbob
‎21-04-2017 10:27 AM

"The Service is available for use with your SIM Card in your handset only. Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering."

Seems from this using the hotspot would be in breach of terms too. At least in the situation whereI am not using in a phone I bought from 3. What do you think?

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

3 Moderator

Hi there, we can't guarantee service with a mobile SIM in a dongle as these are mobile SIMs made for a phone.  

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before.

Is there a way I can try and see if it works without buying a sim. I realise you can't speak for the shop staff but would there not be a sim of the same ilk available somewhere at a 3 shop that I could put into my dongle and see if it functions.

Doesn't seem that big an ask for 20 a month...let me see... €240 a year...€960 in 4. Just want to see if the product works. If it does, I'll buy it.

Legend
It may work, but three may block your sim as your using a phone sim in a dongle.

Posted From Sony E5823

So its ok for me to buy  crappy smartphone with a hotspot option and  *never* use the phone for calls or texts, only use as a hotspot. So essentially it is a dongle. But it's not ok to use the sim in a dongle!

I don't understand the logic.

Legend

In the T&Cs you can be charged extra for using the hotspot option in a phone

Ok now I understand, I didn't realise that. So it's a data fee plus a fee for using the hotspot. Could you point me toward the relevant Ts and Cs, please.

Highlighted

Solution
Accepted by topic author bobbob
‎21-04-2017 10:27 AM

"The Service is available for use with your SIM Card in your handset only. Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering."

Seems from this using the hotspot would be in breach of terms too. At least in the situation whereI am not using in a phone I bought from 3. What do you think?

Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Top Liked Authors
Hot Topics
How to turn off the Adult Content Filter