Accepted Solution

Keeping number alive with pre-pay SIM: basic requirements

Navigator

I'm going away on a long holiday (maybe about 6 months) and want to know if a Three pre-pay SIM card could be used to preserve the phone number that I've had for many years now.  Please let me know:

1. can I have my number ported from another carrier (Virgin Mobile) to a Three pre-pay SIM card account?
  2. can this number be permanently directed to another telephone number (e.g. Irish landline or VoIP)?
  3. if, when & how this SIM card would "expire," e.g. do I need to "top it up" to keep the card active & its phone number preserved?

I would really like to get a full, well-researched answer from a Three representative on this forum, rather than calling these questions into the phone support line.  If these questions are answered anywhere on the web site, it would be nice to have links to those pages.

Chosen Solution

Re: Keeping number alive with pre-pay SIM: basic requirement

Solution
Accepted by topic author rphair
‎29-07-2017 06:36 PM
3 Staff

Yes, you need to top up and make a chargeable call or text. We don't provide a service whereby you can check your calls and text history as it happens. You can order a usage report from us where you'd be able to see the usage from the last 30 days at any point. 

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

3 Staff

Hi @rphair, Can you PM me your full name, number, address and date of birth so I can check this out for you? 

Navigator

@Three_Bob - I don't know what you're on about, but this is a pre-Sales enquiry about the capabilities of pre-pay SIM cards on Three, which I need to address before buying one.  Besides, this discussion is completely inappropriate for Private Messaging since the answers would be useful for many others besides me.

3 Staff

Hi @rphair, you would be able to move your number to a Three pre-pay SIM. Once you have done this you'll need to top up and make a chargeable call every 180 days to keep it active. you would be able to divert your calls to a landline etc, but it will be very costly if someone calls it, this is because it will be reaching you out on holiday and diverted back to Ireland so you will incur the charges, not the person calling you. Let me know if you need more clarification on this. 👍

Navigator

Thanks @Three_Karen for giving a real answer, though in your statement about "keeping it active," please tell me whether you mean:

• I can top up only once, and then make a chargeable call every 180 days, or
  • I have to both top up and make a chargeable call every 180 days?

BTW it won't be costly if incoming mobile calls all divert to an Irish VoIP service which then forwards to my overseas number at low cost.

3 Moderator

You'd need to top up by any amount and make a call every 180 days to keep your number active. Have you used a Irish VoIP service to do this for you before? 

Navigator

This just repeats what Karen said above, with the same ambiguity.  I can't accept these answers as a solution until that ambiguity is cleared up: To keep the account going, do I need to top up as well as make a chargeable call every 180 days, or is it enough to simply make a chargeable call every 180 days?

(I would only consider this a full response if a Three agent can commit an answer to that question, and preferably post a link to a full "terms of service" or purchase for the pre-pay card which should have the answer in it somewhere: it's not explained in the terms listed in the current price guide.  I appreciate the generous terms for keeping the number active, but getting the specifics shouldn't be like pulling teeth.)

Beyond the one above, I also have to add two additional questions:

• Does sending a text message count as "chargeable" to keep the account alive, as a call would?
  • With a pre-pay card, will I be able to open up a "Three online" account, so I will be able to see phone charges soon after they are made & top up my account online with a credit card?

Legend

A text would be the same as a call as it would incur a charge on your account.

Navigator
That sounds logical to me but I couldn't accept it as an answer unless it came from a Three rep on this forum. In any case that's only one of three remaining questions.

Solution
Accepted by topic author rphair
‎29-07-2017 06:36 PM
3 Staff

Yes, you need to top up and make a chargeable call or text. We don't provide a service whereby you can check your calls and text history as it happens. You can order a usage report from us where you'd be able to see the usage from the last 30 days at any point. 

Navigator

thanks @Three_Karen for answering the remainder of my questions.  Still I need a bit more clarification about the last item: when I was once a Three "bill pay" customer I had what would today be called a "My3" login where I could see my usage history online... calls showed up there after a few hours so they could be seen between the monthly bills.

As I understand, you are telling us that this My3 service is not available to pre-pay account holders or that My3 doesn't show that ongoing list of calls for pre-pay accounts.  If I've misunderstood you please let us know & indicate which case this may be (it seems unlikely that pre-pay customers would be cut off from these ordinary features of a My3 account).

Highlighted

3 Moderator

It's the latter, My3 doesn't show that ongoing list of calls for pre-pay accounts.

Navigator

Whoo-ee... that's disappointing that the calls list isn't available, though I suppose we can keep track of what calls cost because we should be able to see our account balance online.  All in all it sounds like a Three pre-pay sim card is a good way to keep the number alive rather than paying €15 or €20 a month bill-pay fees.

All my questions are answered, but to answer a Three question above here's an article that explains the VoIP forwarding strategy: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83567541&postcount=7

3 Moderator

Thanks for this. If you need anything else just let me know 😃

Navigator
I am thrilled to finally be ready to put this plan into action. So I can plan before my trip: how long does it take to port my existing phone number from another carrier (Virgin Mobile in my case) to a Three pay-as-you-go SIM card?

3 Moderator

Hey @rphair  👋 Once the request has been placed to move your number, it'll be transferred over within 3 hours. This can be done here👉 https://bit.ly/2hcId9t 😊 Mairéad

Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Top Liked Authors
Hot Topics
How to turn off the Adult Content Filter