Getting 2 IPs when I do a online search for my current IP

Navigator

Hi,

This is one for the IP address/networking team.

When I do a search on the web for my current IP, I am getting 2 different IP's, now I understand that the Three Prepay service only has a dynamic IP address but this isn't the issue I am coming across. The issue I have is when I'm trying to more custom parental control filtering with OpenDNS services and their servers are picking up one address and their another server they use picks up the other. Example,  say today's IP is 56.156.45.140 when I check it with www.whatsmyip.org, then when I check with https://bearsmyip.com I getting 56.156.43.140.

The funny thing every time I restart my device and get a new IP and recheck online with above web pages for my current dynamically issued IP, the 3rd octet seems to be the same but either 43 or 45. Now my knowledge of IP Address networking isn't great after that, but it is quite strange that I do not seem to get getting a consistent IP all bit it dynamic.

Hoping you can help sort issue and teach me some IP addressing skills ; )

Re: Getting 2 IPs when I do a online search for my current I

3 Moderator

Hi @rd00gan, with this every time you restart the device you would receive a new IP as there is no private IP's assigned.

Navigator

Yes I know this, that's not the issue if you read my post again maybe you see my issue a bit clearer.

Navigator

Ok if somehas a Three Prepay phone in your office (may be the same with a Bill Pay also, I can't confirm this), ask them nicely to check their ip address on the following websites www.whatsmyip.org and www.bearsmyip.com and I'm hoping they show up with a slight difference on the 3rd Octet of the IP address 123.123.XX.123

Hoping this makes my issue a bit clearer Smiley Wink

3 Moderator

I can have check this myself rd00gan, but I would expect them to be dynamic as this number isn't set.

Navigator

@Three_Martinagain I undertand what a dynamic IP is how it works after I restart my device but the newly dynamic IPthat gets issued by the Three NAT servers is giving off 2 addresses with the 3 octet of the IP address being slightly different. I hope you understand when you try and experience what I am trying to explain.

This issue is causing my custom OpenDNS settings to fail because OpenDNS servers for some strange reason see slighty different IP on my side.

Anyway I hope you'll see what I see. Smiley Wink Thanks for checking it out.

3 Moderator

Can you PM us your broadband number, name, address and DOB? I'll get this checked out by the tech team for you. 

Navigator

So the OpenDNS tech support guys rekon that Three are using a Transparent Proxy, I did a test using www.whatismyip.network/proxy-check-tool-detect-how-isp-transparent/, can you confirm if this is true?

What Is A Transparent Proxy?

A transparent proxy, also known as a forced or intercepting proxy,  is a middle man system deployed by your ISP. It is referred to as ‘transparent’ because the client is unaware of its existence. A transparent proxy acts an intermediary between you and a website you want to visit. While you are connecting to that website, the proxy intercepts the connection, before passing it to the website.

Transparent-Proxy-Detection-Tool.png

Highlighted

3 Moderator

Hi rd00gan, if you send us a PM with your number, name, address and date of birth, we'll get this checked out by our tech team. 

Navigator

@Three_Julie_D@Three_BroganI'm helping my eldery neighbours who have asked me to set up a more personalised OpenDNS parental control facility. Is it OK to pm their details? I don't think they've even registered their DOB, I have their email and prepay number and owner name is clearly in his email address. These people are not IT savvy, that's why I have been asked to sort out this issue for them.

3 Moderator

We wouldn't be able to take your neighbours details off your account due to data protection. Would you be able to help them contact us on their own community account, social media account or by phone? 

Navigator

@Three_MartinOk I will get my friend who has 2 Three prepay numbers to test my thery and setup a forum account etc? I will get him to post a new topic labelled  "Transparent Proxy [ 2 very similar IPs showing ] . Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this issue once and for all Smiley Frustrated

3 Moderator

No worries, we're here until 8 tonight to help 👍

Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Top Liked Authors
Hot Topics
How to turn off the Adult Content Filter