Weekly Tech News: HTC U11, Google I/O and more

by ‎19-05-2017 04:08 PM - edited ‎30-05-2017 09:18 AM (157 Views)

HTC U11 (3).png

In the world of tech, a lot can happen in seven days. This week we look at the newly announced HTC U11, our favourite announcements from Google I/O and the release of the Samsung Xcover 4.

HTC U11 Coming to Three Ireland

htcu11.jpg

Believe the hype - HTC’s new squishy phone is now confirmed. The brand new HTC U11, with Edge Sense squeeze technology, is coming to Three Ireland soon. If you want to be one of the first to get your hands on HTC’s latest flagship with Three, register your interest in the HTC U11 now

To find out more about the HTC U11 and its features, read our insider review.

Google I/O: Our Top Five

Annoucements (2).png

The 2017 Google I/ O developer festival is taking place this week (17 – 19 May) at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, California. Google I/O, the company’s developer conference, features in-depth sessions focusing on building mobile, web and applications. This year, Google made it very clear that they plan to put artificial intelligence (AI) first in its products – going forward everything Google will be powered by a learning machine.

1. Google Lens

One of the big announcements at I/O was Google Lens – a new product that lets you use your phone’s camera to search the internet for more information on what you’re looking at. Say you are outside a new restaurant in Cork: simply point your phone at the restaurant and Google Lens will get to work and show you the food menu, reviews and even help you to book a table.  Next door to the restaurant, you see a new pair of boots but the store is closed. Point your camera and let Google Lens show you details, options and online prices.

Google Lens will be available later this year.

2. Google Assistant comes to iOS

Watch out Siri – you’ve got competition. Google Assistant is already available on over 100 million devices and now Google plans to expand that number. They’ve announced that Google Assistant will join Siri on Apple devices, and the iOS version will get some new features too.

You can download Google Assistant now, free on the App Store

3. Share your photos with Google 

Google Photos is a great app that already organises your photos by place, people and events, and now it will prompt you to share with the people in them. You can even choose your bestie and set it to automatically send any photos of them directly to them. You’ll also be able to create shared libraries. Never again can you be blamed for hoarding your best or worst photos!

4. Google O is now available in Beta

You’ve heard of Google’s new OS Android Nougat, but Google has already moved on to Google O. The new OS will have Google auto fill on all its apps, smart text selection for faster copy-and-paste, longer battery life, faster boot times and top security features. This week Google released the Beta version for anyone who is interested in trying it out – stayed tuned to The Week in Tech for updates.

5. Google VR Headset

Over a year ago, Google announced Daydream, a virtual reality (VR) platform for mobile. Now, Google plans to release a new standalone VR headset called Euphrates, that doesn’t require a phone, PC or cables. See more on Google VR at vr.google.com.

For more info on Google’s I/O Conference visit events.google.com/io/.

Samsung Xcover 4 Now Available

Samsung-Galaxy-Xcover4_SM-G390F_black_45.jpg

The rugged, all-round smartphone Xcover is back, with the new and improved Samsung Xcover 4 launching this week with Three.

At a slim 9.7mm wide, the Galaxy Xcover 4 is thinner than previous generations and features an easy-to-grip, non-slip finish so it won’t slide out of your hand unexpectedly. With IP68 and MIL-STD 810G certification, the Galaxy Xcover 4 is durable enough to withstand harsh conditions and its tough exterior can handle accidental drops. The phone will also have ‘Glove Mode’, enabling the screen to respond when the user is wearing gloves. It shoots images with a 13mpx camera and packs more power with a 2800mAh battery.

Samsung Xcover 4 will be available online and in Three retail stores from today. 

For past issues of the Week in Tech check this link out, and to join the Community click here

Ashling

Ashling

Ashling is the 3Community's resident wordsmith. With a passion for social media, innovative technology and all things mobile, she fills the 3Community with articles about tech news, app reviews and tips and tricks to make your life a little easier.

You can contact Ashling here.

Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean