Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Re: SSH and VPN with Huawei B315

3 Staff

@climberhunt Can you check that the settings on the router have the APN set to 3internet?

Navigator

Yes, I can confirm. APN is 3internet.

3 Staff

Can you PM your details (number, address and DOB)  please and I can look into this further for you. 

Navigator

Done, Thanks. 

[ Edited ]

Hi Karen,

It would be appreciated if you could post the solution to this issue as it seems to be the same as what I am experiencing. 

Regards,

John.

3 Moderator

Hi retroject 👋 This is currently being looked into by our tech team. Can you PM me your full name, number, address, date of birth and IP address please? 

Just PM'd. Thank you.

Navigator

Hi all,
Just to close off this thread, and not leave it hanging. I've had many PM's with the support people over this issue. Unfortunately, there is no fix for this issue (a Three handset talking to a virtual service on a B315, which is also on the Three network). Here's a list of use cases I've tested, for added information (ssh server is a virtual service (port redirect) on the device):

Handset     SSH Server         Working?
----------- ------------------ --------
Three       Netopia on Eir     YES
Three       E5573 on Three     YES
On Wifi     B315 on Three      YES
Meteor      B315 on Three      YES
Vodafone    B315 on Three      YES

Three       B315 on Three      NO   (my use case)

Also, one interesting aspect of the issue is that the source IP address that gets to the the ssh daemon is slightly different to the one I see when I do "what is my ip address" on the handset. 

According to Three, there is no change they can make that will get around the problem I'm having. 

There are two possible workarounds:
    1. I can switch my handset to another provider (shown to be working with friends and family handsets)
    2. I can replace the B315 router with and E5573 modem.

As of this morning, I have ordered a replacement E5573, as it's hassle to switch networks on my handset. I believe this will work, as I previously had an E5573 for over a year until it stopped working last month.

Thanks to the support people for their investigations on this.

Regards,
Dave.

Navigator

OK, Sorry to keep this thread going, but I think people might benefit from my findings. 

The replacement E5573 did not work which kinds indicates that something changed internally in the network. But that's another days discussion...

However, there is a third solution. VPS. Virtual Private Server. 

So I got myself a VPS just for this. Cost me €18 for the year. It's a virtual Linux server hosted out there on the internet somewhere outside of the three network. And if I bounce traffic from my Handset out to the VPS, then back to my Three home broadband, I can use all the services I need on my home network. 

I set up an ssh client on my phone, with a couple of port forwards, one for ssh and one for openVPN. 

Works Great (apart from having to ssh into the VPS first before starting OpenVPN). 

So, my Three handset, out to a server on the internet, then back into my Three Broadband device works. 

But my Three handset directly to my Three Broadband device does not work. 

Hmmm...

Regards,

Dave.

Scout
Hello
I have a Huawei E5573 and I would like to run a VPN on the device, I have a subscription with EXPRESS VPN, or I could sign up with another service if necessary, it sounds like you was running a VPN on the same device, please could you help me.
Thank You
Posted From Apple iPhone
Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>