Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

SSH and VPN with Huawei B315

Navigator

Hi Three. 

I'm on your 250G broadband package. I've just switched over from a Huawei E5573 to a Huawei B315. I used to have a setup with the E5573 where I had virtual servers defined for ssh (port 22) and vpn (port 1194) to redirect from the E5573 to an internal server. The E5573 developed a fault, so Three was good enough to allow me to upgrade to a B315. However, I've set up the virtual servers in the same way as I had on the E5573, but the network setup seems to be different in the Three network for the new router. Is the B315 now using a shared public IP, where the W5573 had it's own?

When I attempt to connect to the ssh service from my phone (also on Three), I can see packets com in on port 22, but the source address is slightly different than my phone IP (third octet is 43 instead of 45), so while traffic does seem to be coming in to port 22 on the linux machine, return packets go back out to the incorrect IP address.  

Any ideas? I've got a bunch of home automation stuff I need to get access to, and a solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave.

Chosen Solution

Re: SSH and VPN with Huawei B315

Navigator

Hi all,
Just to close off this thread, and not leave it hanging. I've had many PM's with the support people over this issue. Unfortunately, there is no fix for this issue (a Three handset talking to a virtual service on a B315, which is also on the Three network). Here's a list of use cases I've tested, for added information (ssh server is a virtual service (port redirect) on the device):

Handset     SSH Server         Working?
----------- ------------------ --------
Three       Netopia on Eir     YES
Three       E5573 on Three     YES
On Wifi     B315 on Three      YES
Meteor      B315 on Three      YES
Vodafone    B315 on Three      YES

Three       B315 on Three      NO   (my use case)

Also, one interesting aspect of the issue is that the source IP address that gets to the the ssh daemon is slightly different to the one I see when I do "what is my ip address" on the handset. 

According to Three, there is no change they can make that will get around the problem I'm having. 

There are two possible workarounds:
    1. I can switch my handset to another provider (shown to be working with friends and family handsets)
    2. I can replace the B315 router with and E5573 modem.

As of this morning, I have ordered a replacement E5573, as it's hassle to switch networks on my handset. I believe this will work, as I previously had an E5573 for over a year until it stopped working last month.

Thanks to the support people for their investigations on this.

Regards,
Dave.

View solution in original post

All Replies To This Topic

3 Staff

Hi Dave, can you give me a more broken down version of what your looking for please? Karen 

Navigator

Hi Karen, 

I'm looking to be able to ssh/vpn into my home by using the "virtual server" facility on the Huawei router. 

This used to work perfectly on the E5573, but does not on the B315. 

The two ports i've set up as virtual services on the router are tcp/22 (for ssh) and udp/1194 (for openVPN), redirected from 192.168.8.1 (B315) to 192.168.8.3 (internal linux box). When I ssh into the router from outside, I can see packets on the 192.168.8.3 machine coming in on port 22 as I'd expect, but nothing gets back out to the ssh client device. There seems a mismatch between what IP address the client device is reporting (using 'what is my ip'), and what the 192.168.8.3 sees as the client ip (one of the digits in the IP address is different)

Here is an example screen of the virtual server screen. I'm using wan port 22 and lan port 22, and LAN IP 192.168.8.3 (I've a static IP on the linux box)

Any help on this is appreciated. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Dave

3 Staff

When did you upgrade to the B315?

Navigator

Karen, 

Last Saturday, 18th Feb. The E5573 developed a fault, and would not connect any more. 

Regards,

Dave.

3 Staff

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into this now and I'll come back to you here when I have an update for you. 

[ Edited ]
Navigator

Karen, 

Did ye change something on your side? It's working now! Both SSH and VPN are passing traffic between my phone any my internal network. 

Edit: Spoke too soon. So it works when my phone is on a different wifi (not at home), but not when the phone is on 3G/4G. So it seems another bit of digging is required. Seems the B315 side might be OK. It may be the iPhone (on the Three network) side, or a combination of both.

Rgds,

Dave.

3 Staff

Excellent. That's great to hear. Come back to us here if you need anything else in the future. 

Hi Dave,

I'd be very interested to see what you find out.

I'm also using a B315 and I've had problems setting up a port forward from the B315 to a SSH server on my network. I set up a virtual server on the B315 and using an online Open Port Checking tool I could see that the port was open. However I could never successfully connect when testing from my network. i.e. LocalMachine->B315->Three->Three->B315->SSHServer.

I just tried accessing the SSH server from my phone network (Vodafone) and it seems to work. i.e. Phone->Vodafone->Three->B315->SSHServer.

I also can't connect to my VPN provider using UDP... but that'd another issue entirely!

Regards,

John.

[ Edited ]
Navigator

Karen, 

I spoke too soon. It seems that it works for all networks EXCEPT a device on the Three network. So, a device on Vodafone can ssh in no problem. A device on my work wifi can also ssh in no problem.

However, my iPhone (on the Three network) cannot log in. Somewhere between my iPhone and the B315, the IP address is changed, so that any packets going back to the phone get lost. 

For example, my iPhone's public IP address is currently  x.x.43.3. But when I sniff the traffic on my linux machine behind the B315, it seems to be x.x.45.3. Not sure why this is happening, but the problem seems to be limited to my two devices on the Three network talking to each other. Any ideas?

By the way, the new router if v.fast!  Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Dave.

--edit--

I just tried it on another device on the Three network, and it's the same problem.

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>