Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Our staff are currently offline, but you can use the community 24/7
Remember to accept a reply to your question as the answer!

Mobile broadband router -Excessive usage. Why?

Navigator

Does anyone else have a problem with excessive data usage on a mobile broadband box?  We are paying for the maximum amount of data a month (€69.99 for 250GB) and I am keeping the data box plugged out overnight and only turn it on for 8-9 hours a day.  Despite our household having reduced over the summer from 7 people to 4, there seems to be more data used than ever.  In the past two weeks it’s completely out of control.  Some days it’s using 20GB-24GB a day!  A few nights ago, I had to take a video call for work and it used 18 GB in 2 hours.  Nothing else was connected to the router at this time.  I have changed the password and SSID name in case we were being hacked.  It’s made no difference and there are no unknown devices connected.  I’ve contacted Three twice.  They explain what can use up a lot of data (Netflix/YouTube use or PlayStation upgrades), which I am aware of and limit, but I even though we rarely connected the PlayStation to the router I have disconnected it altogether and it’s made no difference.  We have used up our entire limit (250GB!) in two weeks and I’ve taken the router out.  There is no point in my having this service if we cannot even use it when we want for fear of going over the limit.  Does anyone out there have any ideas what could be going on?

Re: Mobile broadband router -Excessive usage. Why?

Legend
Do you have any pcs connected? They might be syncing and backing up data.
I would turn down the settings from HD video to sd on Netflix etc.
How about changing the password on router and then add one device per day to see what's using the excess?

Posted From Sony E5823

Legend
On each device track the data usage when you add them on the network to find out whats the big data user item

Posted From Sony E5823

[ Edited ]
3 Moderator

Hi Margaret 👋 I'd be happy to look into this for you. Could someone in your home be using the broadband to download PlayStation games? billbond4 also had some good suggestions above.  

Legend

Navigator
No, we have no PCs in the house. We have also disconnected Netflix and still have this issue. So only my laptop, my phone and the wireless printer connected and still 18 GB used in two hours. I might try adding one device per day tho when we get the allowance back again (another 10 days) and see if anything major shows up. Thanks for answering.

Navigator
Thanks, Martin. I'd appreciate it if you could look into it. Thanks for that link. It still doesn't make sense how we could use 18 GB in 2 hours or 24 GB in a day. It doesn't even seem possible. Over the summer we had the whole family living in the house - 7 people - who were using Snapchat, YouTube, Netflix, etc. a lot and I was constantly monitoring the usage in a case we ran over. We came close a few times! But now - the three eldest have left home and we have only 4 in the house, mostly gone all day and it's plugged out all night. So why now do we use up our whole allowance in about two weeks? It's very strange. I'd love to know if you found something to explain it.

Navigator
Excellent article, billbond4. I was looking for something like it before. I will definitely try to monitor what's happening with the router when we get our internet allowance back (in 10 days - not easy when I need it for work!) Thanks for that!

Legend
Just take your time adding devices, as they can have scheduled jobs that use up data

Posted From Sony E5823

3 Moderator

Hi Margaret, we have no way of seeing what the data was used on for security reasons. Very good article billbond.

It may be that apps were updating in the back round also.