Explorer

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Android 7 update

I'm emailing Samsung Support about this at the moment as I'd rather get the "vanilla" flavour Android OS directly from them, than wait for Three.ie to finally screw up the update enough to make it mostly unstable and full of bloat-ware or use a custom ROM that'll invalidate the warranty.

I'll post any response I get from Samsung on here, probably much to the annoyance of Three.ie...
Explorer

Samsung have essentially said that any amendment to the handset firmware, excluding OTA, will invalidate the warranty.

Scout

It seems the Meteor's Nougat update for the S7 was released on the 1st...
Posted From Samsung SM-G930F
Staff

Just to give a further update on this - we're working closely with Samsung on this and finalising the testing and roll out. We don't have the exact date just yet but it's likely to be days. We'll keep you posted. 

Explorer

[ Edited ]

I think that one of the challenges that is (possibly) the root cause of these OS OTA release delays is:

1) That the OS is developed by a fairly (highly?) competent software house - Google.

2) That this new OS is released to hardware manufacturers, who have a deep understanding of how their hardware works and a fairly good grasp of how the OS works.

3) That the customised/tailored new OS is released to the carriers.  These are telcos who do not have mobile technology nor software development within their core competencies.  Thus the carriers make mistakes more often than not with their own branding customisations.

Thus we, the end customers, who have purchased a handset through a telco will eventually get an OS OTA update that is full of bloat-ware and almost certainly unstable and prone to weird behaviour.  This isn't to suggest that Google and the hardware manufacturers are perfect coders by any stretch of the imagination; this is that the companies should play to their core competencies.

Google ran through multiple Dev Beta releases before they were happy to release Android 7 to the hardware manufacturers.  The hardware manufacturers also ran through a reasonably extensive Beta program before they released the OS to handsets purchased through themselves.  Bugs were discovered, the release was halted, the bugs were fixed and tested and the release was resumed.

The final OS release from the hardware manufacturers was then released to the carriers who have made mistakes in custom branding and embedding carrier specific bloat-ware - thus the end customer, who purchased the handsets through the carrier gets to "pay" for the carrier's mistakes...

I can assure you @GaryH that our devices team do their utmost to ensure our customers get the best software updates possible in situations like this. Keep an eye on here for more info on this release date. 

You can give us feedback by taking a survey.
It pops up on the bottom left hand side of your screen.
Need to send me a PM? Click here.
Pre-order the new Galaxy S8
Lookout

Hi apparently they are in the final stage of the testing and the update ll be dispatch to us very soon...so hopefully is true...
Lookout

I got the email yesterday ..so let see how long it ll last this final stage...
Explorer

So setting the expectation to be news in a few days on 15/02/2017, no further updates at all from Three.ie a week later...

Obviously the Three.ie staff who post replies here are not responsible for Three.ie policy, nor the validation and QA of the Android 7 updates - it is Three.ie as a legal entity that is failing here.  I fully understand that timelines may change as unforseen issues occur and need to be resolved, but at least some level of customer communication even if that be, "sorry, we don't know" or "sorry, there has been a delay" is surely in order?

It simply would be nice if Three.ie made an attempt, however shallow and meaningless that might be, to give the impression that the customers actually matter to Three.ie.  Thus far, the impression that Three.ie have left me with is that customers are an annoyance, rather than the purpose of their business.

If there is another delay, which I'd have to say seems fairly obvious, then let us know.  If there is no update, then let us know that as well.  Continual customer communication and contact is perhaps the single most important part of customer service...

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Android 7 is now available for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge handsets from Three.ie.  I assume this also means that it is also available for the Galaxy S7.

I'm downloading it now - 1338.77Mb - 1.31Gb

EDIT

It took 1hr 15min, or there abouts to download Android 7 over Mobile Data and approximately 40 minutes for the new OS to install and configure.

Thanks for updating @GaryH  

This is available for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge users now.

It's a big one so might take a while to download and install as you outlined.

Just downloaded it on my own S7 and there are some cool changes and slick design. Running two apps side by side is really cool and actually works very well!  We'll have more info on it from our Devices team in the Week in Tech on Newsfeed tomorrow evening.

The Android 7.0 Nougat update is now available!   To download and install go to Settings > About > Download Software Update.   Due to the size of the update, we recommend downloading it using WiFi as data charges may apply.  

Cheers

Legend

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Android 7 update NOW available for download

Welcome to the nougat world, Samsung owners :-)

Posted From Android 2.0

Super news. Enjoy all! 👍

Scout

Still nothing on my S7. I have unlocked phone and using three network.
Scout

Hi,

I still don't have the update yet on my 3 branded s7 edge. Anything I need to do?
Posted From Samsung SM-G935F
Explorer

Hi Kalel,

Go to Setting 》 About somewhere in there is an option to check for updates. It is large, 1.31Gb and will take about 1 1/2 hours to download over Mobile Broadband and then about 40 minutes to configure.

Cheers,

Gary
Posted From Android 2.0
Highlighted
Scout

Hi,

Since the new update for the Galaxy S7 my internet will not work. I used to have full coverage 90% of the time now after 10minutes of even resetting my phone I barely have E/2G coverage.

Is this a result of the upgrade? Or is there any way this can be fixed? Driving me mad!