• Three_Sheena
  • 29-03-2016

How Do I Unlock My Phone?

by 3 Community Manager on ‎29-03-2016 04:38 PM - last edited on ‎09-10-2017 12:43 PM by 3 Moderator (7,778 Views)

Unlock your phone.jpg

We all love that new phone feeling - but what to do with your old phone? Maybe you want to gift it to a friend or relative. Here are some tips for unlocking your phone:

Make sure your phone meets the eligibility rules

First things first: check if your phone is eligible to be unlocked here. Unfortunately we can’t make any exceptions if you’re not eligible, so you will need to wait until the phone meets the eligibility criteria.

Get your unlock code

Use our simple unlocking form here to request your unlock code. Depending on the manufacturer, It can take between 3 and 21 working days to generate the code.

Back-up your data

This is so important and often overlooked. If you have photos, videos, music or other data saved on your phone, you won’t want to lose them once you give your phone away.

The easiest way to avoid this is to use a cloud storage app such as iCloud, Google Drive or DropBox, which allows you to save all your data online and then access that data from your new phone, tablet or laptop.

Alternatively, you can easily back up your data by transferring it manually (using a USB cable or memory card) onto a laptop or PC.

Reset the phone

Once you’ve requested your unlock code and backed up your data, all that’s left to do is reset the phone. If you’re gifting your phone to someone, you don’t want it to have all your information on it, plus it’s nicer to gift a clean phone the person can call their own.

To reset an Android, go to Settings > About > Reset >Erase All Data (terms may differ slightly from phone to phone).

To reset an iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Once you click reset, the phone will reboot back to the first day you start using it.

Use your unlock code

So we’ve contacted you with the news that your phone has been unlocked, or you have been provided with the unlock code. Super!

The next step is important to get right because unlock codes can become void if used incorrectly too many times. The process is slightly different from each manufacturer but generally speaking it can be divided into two categories: iPhone and all other phones. You’ll need a non-Three SIM card at this stage.

For iPhones: insert non-Three SIM and simply connect the phone to iTunes. Apple have unlocked your phone remotely so once you connect you’ll see a message like ‘iPhone network unlocked’ – easy!

Other smartphones: Turn your phone off and insert a non-Three SIM. Turn it back on and you will be prompted to input a ‘Network Unlock Code’ – or something similar. That’s the code we sent you - pop it in and the phone should start as normal. Your job is done!

If you need a new SIM for your new phone, see here.

If you have any questions on phone unlocking, post on our Community or feel free to PM a mod who can also help.

Comments
by 3 Staff
on ‎05-05-2016 04:00 PM

Did you send it to us here or to the website?

by Anonymous
on ‎05-05-2016 04:28 PM
Yes
by Anonymous
on ‎05-05-2016 04:30 PM
Yes I want to unsubscribe from the blog

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
by 3 Staff
on ‎06-05-2016 12:13 PM

Hey @Costa_1984

Can you pop me a DM with the details & your number? I'll look into it now. 

by Nicola655
on ‎05-07-2016 07:27 PM
My phone was bought in Ireland one week before I immigrated to New Zealand I did not register my address or anything to the sim because I was moving abroad. The my 3 website won't allow me to register now? What can I do I need to unlock my phone ???
by 3 Staff
on ‎06-07-2016 04:16 PM

Hi @Nicola655, thanks for getting in touch about this. Can you PM me your details so I can check this out more for you? I just need your mobile number, full name, address and DOB. 

by Nicola655
on ‎07-07-2016 09:18 PM
How do I pm you?
by Nicola655
on ‎07-07-2016 09:19 PM - last edited on ‎09-08-2016 09:37 AM by 3 Community Manager

My email is **bleep** could you contact me on this please?

by Mariahoilk
on ‎24-02-2017 08:00 PM
Jiyo Aur Jeene Do.
by Prvo-cana
on ‎25-02-2017 09:05 AM
Can you unblock my network pages
Haven't found your answer? Start a new topic or
Search the Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean