7 Essential Tips for Setting up your New iPhone

by Moderator ‎18-05-2017 03:01 PM - edited ‎18-05-2017 03:19 PM (99 Views)

Copy of Main 3MadeEasy (18).png

As a self-confessed Apple addict, I consider myself a bit of an iPhone aficionado! Apple iPhone’s are easy to use and beautifully designed so I completely understand why you’ve chosen it as your next phone.

This article is for those of you that are a little less familiar with iPhone’s setup process, or maybe you just want to ensure you’re setting up your new shiny iPhone correctly. With the help of our expert Devices team, we’ve put together these seven essential iPhone tips when getting started.

Want an iPhone? Browse your options here.

1. Secure your device with Touch ID and a passcode

If you’re moving your SIM from an older phone you may need to change your SIM to the correct size, click here for more on this. Once you’ve inserted your SIM and turned on the phone, it will prompt you to begin the set-up process. One of the first things you’ll be asked to do is set up Touch ID and a passcode. You might be tempted to skip these steps - don’t! These steps are essential to make your iPhone secure.

touch id passcode ios10.png

The first option you’ll see is Touch ID. This is Apple’s fingerprint scanner which is located on the home button. To set it up, you simply need to press one of your fingers on the home button and the iPhone will do the rest. You can also set up a 4-6 digit passcode as an extra layer of security.

Touch ID is now also being used on many apps, such as online banking apps and Apple Pay.

For more tips on keeping your data and phone safe, see our blog.

2. Restore data from your previous phone

You’ll then be given four options for adding data and apps to your phone: restore from iCloud, restore from iTunes, set up as a new iPhone or move data from Android. If you’ve previously owned an iPhone you may have backed up data and apps on iCloud or iTunes (more on that later). If this is the case, Apple will seamlessly transfer over everything to your new phone – handy!  

iphone6-android-move-to-ios-hero-wrap.jpg

If you’ve previously used an Android, choose the last option. To move your information over from Android, you’ll need to download the ‘Move to iOS’ app onto your Android. You can find more information on this at apple.com/move-to-ios.  

Finally, if this is your first phone or you don’t need to transfer anything over, choose the ‘Setup as a new iPhone’ option.

3. Set up Apple ID and iCloud

The next set-up step will be to log in or create an Apple ID. This is essential, as your Apple ID is necessary to download apps and use services such as iTunes, iMessage, iCloud and much more. If you already have an Apple ID, now is the time to log in using your username and password.

ios10-3-iphone7-setup-sign-in-apple-id.png

Once you’ve set up your Apple ID, you’ll be given an option to set up iCloud. iCloud is Apple’s online cloud storage service, and it allows you to back up contacts, photos and more.

It works on all Apple devices and Windows PC’s, so you can access your files and data when you need them. iCloud provides 5GB of storage for free, and you can purchase more storage for a monthly subscription fee if necessary.

4. Get started with Siriios10-3-iphone7-setup-siri.png

The final prompt is setting up Siri. Siri is iPhone’s personal assistant. She can help send your messages, make calls, set timers and so on, simply by using voice commands. To activate Siri, you’ll be asked to say some phrases so Siri can get to know your voice – then you’re good to go.

5. Set up Find my iPhone

You’re all set up with the basics now, but before you start downloading apps and chatting to Siri, here’s a few extra tips.

ios10-3-iphone7-settings-find-my-iphone-on-tap.jpg

We strongly recommend setting up Find My iPhone. This is a GPS-based service which allows you to remotely locate your iPhone in case your phone is lost or stolen. Find my iPhone also allows you to lock and wipe your phone remotely, as well as broadcasting a message onto the phone with your contact details.

To set it up, simply go to Settings > (your name) > iCloud. Scroll down to ‘Find my iPhone’ and turn it on. If you have paired an Apple Watch or AirPods to your iPhone, these will then be automatically set up also.

For even more peace of mind, check out Three SOS.

6. Connect your email accounts

No doubt you’ll want to add your email accounts to your iPhone – here’s how.

7. Install iTunes

Our final recommendation is to set up iTunes on your PC or laptop. iTunes is the one-stop programme for managing everything on all your Apple devices. On iTunes you can store music, videos, podcasts, audiobooks and more, which you can either download from the iTunes Store or move from your computer to iTunes. You can then manage which media you want to sync with your iPhone.

One of the best things about iTunes is that it allows you to back up your entire iPhone. This means if you ever do lose your phone or have it stolen, you can restore all your data, settings, contacts, apps and more onto a new iPhone seamlessly.

Simply connect your iPhone via USB cable to your Mac, PC or laptop to get started. If you have a Mac, iTunes will be preloaded, but if you have a Windows computer you can download iTunes at apple.com/itunes.

All this iPhone talk got you wanting one? Check out Three’s range of iPhones.

Got a question about your iPhone, or want to add something to this list? Chat on the Community or get in touch via PM.

Ashling

Ashling

Ashling is the 3Community's resident wordsmith. With a passion for social media, innovative technology and all things mobile, she fills the 3Community with articles about tech news, app reviews and tips and tricks to make your life a little easier.

You can contact Ashling here.